Any tips for repainting front part of hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawg82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going to repaint the front part of the hood on my former police vehicle 2003 LS. Plan is to

Fill in big chips with Bondo, sand those spots with 300 grit

Wet sand whole area with 1000 grit.
Spray remaining smaller chips with Primer/filler.

Light sand again before cleaning prior to applying paint and clear coat.

Anything I’m missing?IMG_4383.jpeg

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. I think for bondo sanding you don't have to go that fine (may be too fine to effectively level the hardenen bondo), but #300 or higher is fine after the primer. Are you going to try blending the base out?

I've watched the guy from YT channel Paint Society and he shows a technique where after blending you spray reducer on the edges to help keep a wet edge; he says it helps eliminating dry, rough spray. Spot areas always wind up growing a lot more for blending it seems.

I've got some door dings and scratches on my 06 Suburban and will be doing the same thing as well, hopefully sooner than later.

Last edited:

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as there is no dents sand with block until you level that area out prime block sand again to make sure area is level then prime, paint and clear.
Sometime paint suppliers can mix color to match color from years of sun color change.

OP
OP
Dawg82

Dawg82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I know the front will not perfectly match rest of hood, but can’t look worse than it is currently. Certainly not taking it down to bare metal.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I know the front will not perfectly match rest of hood, but can’t look worse than it is currently. Certainly not taking it down to bare metal.
No need to go 'bare metal', anyway..... Just clean with a 'prep' paint solvent, then use your judgment to sand it,...... If you don't get into raw metal, then not really needing a primer.

Maybe a clear coat after, if the paint top coat requires.
And, what the heck..... maybe later on, have the whole hood repainted....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21