Cold Start Engine Knock Concern 09' 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWIKNVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone think I should be concern with the cold start knock I get on a 50-80+ degree day? My concern is that it won't actually fade away until the engine has ran for 10min at 200-210 degrees. Once she is hot everything seems normal.

I've read about this issue should only persist on avg. first 30-60sec of running. Could be longer at temps below 50 degrees.

Thanks

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long has it been since yer last oil change? whats yer oil pressure look like?
im going to assume yer running 5w30 and yer not low on oil

OP
OP
KWIKNVA

KWIKNVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil is good. I just find it odd that the knock is only present when the engine is below 200 degrees. Once it hits above 200 smooth as can be. If I park for 30-60min allowing the temp to drop to to 125-150 the knock is there until the engine reaches 200+ again. Another thing is on a cold start it idles fine. I reckon I'll have the dealer try to explain it. Just wanted to have a few ideas to go with other dealer thinking it's just fine.

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
I have an 07 6.2L that does the same thing. I haven't had it long, but it has been doing it since we had it. I changed the oil because I thought maybe the dealer used a cheap filter without an anti drain back valve. That wasn't it. I also used synthetic oil. It still makes the noise. It runs like a champ. It just makes that sound when it's cold.

I don't think it makes it as long as yours, but it does still make it.

BigGuy07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same 07 Denali with 6.2. Sounds like a smaller Diesel engine on cold startup and after it sits for a couple of hours. It appears to be a common problem, but I have heard it has something to do with the lack of piston skirts on the pistons..?? Anyone else think there is reason to worry about this condition? I recently got my Denali with about 160k(100k mi) on it. Runs great otherwise....

OP
OP
KWIKNVA

KWIKNVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After a little more research or surfing the web for more info. I came across a potential solution. Seems the LS series motors are notorious for lifter tap. Based on what I've been reading piston slap and lifter tap are nothing alike but easily mistaken to be the same. I've been around GM products my whole life (not a mechanic) as dad was in car sales. I've never heard that CHEVY means "Can Hear Every Valve Screaming" kinda funny cause it's true. However, clogged lifters or pushrods maybe the cause of the tap/knock. This maybe due to poor oil maintenance. I would assume that if someone has purchased their LS based car/truck new and religiously changed their oil with a quality filter then this bit of info may not apply and you have another issue. However if your like me and bought used you may want to read on.

I've purchased my yukon 124k and sierra 3500 used and I'm the second owner of both. My yukon was driven by a soccer mom with no time think so getting the yukon to on time oil changes is more unlikely then likely and my 02' 3500 DRW was a work truck that could have had proper oil changes but when hauling loads in extreme conditions for 12yrs for 210k miles oil changes should be more frequent and I doubt they were. Both trucks have a tap. The Sierra sounds like the 6.6L diesel on cold start and it's the 8.1L gas. Both trucks with a warm up the taps go away and run as smooth as can be. The taps are clearly on top of the motor in my opinion.

So, the fix is to replace your lifters and rods. I was looking for away to diagnose the problem with out tearing the heads off and came across the process of running B-12 Chemtool into the lifter bores by removing the valve covers, and 5 min motor flush. If you can narrow down the affected lifters the better. Some people go as far as pulling the rockers off and the pushrods out. This allows a better blast of B-12 in the bores. This seems to help if not solve the tap problem on the LS motors. The idea is the B-12 or flush in the crank case (Gunk, Rislone, Seafoam) will loosen the build up allowing oil to run free again. There are several videos on youtube explaining and showing how to do the procedure. I think for approx 2-3hrs (Mostly soaking time) of work and less than 50 bucks in products plus new oil and filter, basic hand tools it's worth a try than sending the trucks to the dealer and pay 100 per hr for them to say it's normal because we don't see a check engine light. ( based on previous TSB's) Or pony up a several 100 dollas to have them spray B-12 on my lifters or tell me we need to tear out those lifters out.

My approach is to tackle the 3500 first. Hit all the lifters with B-12 and 5min motor flush. I'll leave the rocker and rods in place and use the oil ports to run the B-12 down. Also keeping a quart of Rislone in the oil may help as well and prevent build up. I've seen folks use trans fluid to loose the sludge in their motors. Do what you think may work best. I don't know kinda whay I'm starting with the 3500 first.

Why is this a common phenomena in GM motors? Why do we have bad or clogged lifters and when we change our oil on time and use nothing but the best products? A reason could be that the stock lifters have a under size oil holes which is very easy to clog as a good set of aftermarket lifters are have larger holes? I'm not sure how true this is, I don't have any lifters in hand to inspect. Just something I read a few times. Also there is a notion that GM use Mitsubishi for their lifters. Haven't done the research to validate. I'm sure some who reads this will know if true or not.

If none of this works then I'll be going with a heads and cam swap for both trucks and put fresh lifters in. Why not if your going to tear down the motor right? :)

MSGKUNERT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did this turn out. This is probably going to be my next project as my 07 Denali started the knock about 10k miles ago and I just hit 180k.

jagi0966

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'08 yukon denali, same clatter. Its piston-to-wall clearance creating clatter...its louder with load/higher combustion pressure. Not at all related to valvetrain lifters or pushrods.

It disappears after it warms when the oil thins out and the pistons expand. Seems like the piston skirts have worn/collapsed slightly and generate noise.

Dont put any cleaners or other fluids in the crankcase. You will then open up the potential for noisy lifters or sticking relief valves or etc.

The best thing you can do is use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and acdelco filter, as the engine was designed and tested with that oil specified. All good motor oils have adequate detergents in them to keep your engine clean internally.

Drive it and be happy. The 6.2 is a very enjoyable beast, minus a little cold clatter and small oil leaks after 100k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62