Cluster Panel doesn't illuminate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tamika

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suppose it could be. Unplug the sensor, then try putting a fuse in. See if it still arcs on you. If not, it was the sensor. If so, you still have a short somewhere else.

I didn't even think to do that! That will be the goal tomorrow. Ordered a new sensor already, cant wait to get it, then hopefully I will have some lights at night on the inside.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they had a wig-wag module in the lighting system that they just cut out and dropped the wiring down in the truck somewhere. There's an upfitter harness that runs down under the center of the dash to provide upfitter wiring to the console. They'll sometimes just stuff that up into the dash, or tuck it under the mat, usually right under the dash on the transmission tunnel. That harness does have power and does have lighting circuits in it. Search for this harness and make sure there are no exposed wires in it.

When we first start our '10, the dash lights come on, but they are very dim. Unless you're in a dark garage, you probably wouldn't notice it. They come on after the truck has been running for about 30 seconds, or so.

OP
OP
T

Tamika

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they had a wig-wag module in the lighting system that they just cut out and dropped the wiring down in the truck somewhere. There's an upfitter harness that runs down under the center of the dash to provide upfitter wiring to the console. They'll sometimes just stuff that up into the dash, or tuck it under the mat, usually right under the dash on the transmission tunnel. That harness does have power and does have lighting circuits in it. Search for this harness and make sure there are no exposed wires in it.

When we first start our '10, the dash lights come on, but they are very dim. Unless you're in a dark garage, you probably wouldn't notice it. They come on after the truck has been running for about 30 seconds, or so.

Do you know if mine would have the upfitter harness since I do not have a middle console, just a seat?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
IS LPS is the fuse for your "instrument lamps".... this fuse will blow if you have issues with your running lights (parking lights) on the rear of the vehicle... it is designed to act as a safety to let you know inside the vehicle that your tail lights are not illuminated while driving. It could be a short to the tail lights, a bad bulb causing a short internally within the bulb, or even the orange wire for illumination to your stereo... although the last one isn't likely unless you have and aftermarket stereo.... I would definitely check for any bare wires from where they removed all the electronics for lights and sirens.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if mine would have the upfitter harness since I do not have a middle console, just a seat?

As far as I know, they all come with the upfitter's harness. Few of these trucks come with consoles or the jump seat between the two front seats. Those that do, usually get them yanked out for the cop console.

Depending on how careful they were upon retiring the vehicle from service, or what anyone who had the vehicle between the time it was retired and you purchasing it, the harness can be rolled up and tucked up inside the dash, coiled and laying in the passenger footwell (as was ours), stuffed under the floor mat, and possibly under the jump seat, or simply cut near the base of the dash.

OP
OP
T

Tamika

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IS LPS is the fuse for your "instrument lamps".... this fuse will blow if you have issues with your running lights (parking lights) on the rear of the vehicle... it is designed to act as a safety to let you know inside the vehicle that your tail lights are not illuminated while driving. It could be a short to the tail lights, a bad bulb causing a short internally within the bulb, or even the orange wire for illumination to your stereo... although the last one isn't likely unless you have and aftermarket stereo.... I would definitely check for any bare wires from where they removed all the electronics for lights and sirens.

After I got it home I found out a reverse light was burnt up, it literally was blackened. I just bought a new light to replace that and some new 10amp mini fuses since I'm sure I'm bound to blow a few more finding the issue. Also, (I don't know if this is related) but in my way to purchase these items after hitting a few washboards in my dirt road, my radio is now static on almost every channel. I'm thinking maybe this is related? I do not have an aftermarket stereo either. I appreciate all the help! I'm determined to chase down this short, or whatever is going on.

OP
OP
T

Tamika

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as I know, they all come with the upfitter's harness. Few of these trucks come with consoles or the jump seat between the two front seats. Those that do, usually get them yanked out for the cop console.

Depending on how careful they were upon retiring the vehicle from service, or what anyone who had the vehicle between the time it was retired and you purchasing it, the harness can be rolled up and tucked up inside the dash, coiled and laying in the passenger footwell (as was ours), stuffed under the floor mat, and possibly under the jump seat, or simply cut near the base of the dash.

Thank you! I'm going to have to tear into some things here after my husband gets home from work and see what I can find! Now my radio is static on almost every channel after hitting a bump so I'm thinking this is related.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, it may or may not be related. But it only takes a few minutes to pull the radio out and check. Look on YouTube and find a video that shows you how to properly remove the radio trim so you can get to the radio mounting screws. It should be a few 7mm hex head screws holding it in. I would go ahead and pull the radio out to see if the antenna is plugged in firmly. Also, this is a good time to inspect for any aftermarket wiring that was added, or for the upfitter harness. With the radio out, you should have really good access to that area. If a harness was indeed cut really close to the radio, it makes PERFECT sense why the antenna could have been yanked loose. If you are confused when looking at the wiring, just post some pictures and we can help you out.

OP
OP
T

Tamika

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all! I will be pulling the radio out as soon as my husband is home, I now have a brake light burned out on the opposite side of the burned out reverse light. Glad I bought 4 bulbs today, probably will need them at this point. I'm hoping it's some short behind the radio as I'm hoping I don't have to chase it down the body or something. At that point I may just get mad and off this Tahoe. Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshumphrey

Latest posts