Clunking/ knocking noise when floor my 06 Yukon denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad poiencot

Reaction score
when I floor my DENALI it has a clunking noise . Sounds like something spinning. Only at full throttle though. If I drive normal it doesn’t make any noise. Even when turning and over bumps it’s quiet. Anybody ever experienced this??

OP
OP
Brad poiencot

Brad poiencot

Reaction score
Well if anyone else experiences this sound under hard acceleration it is the transfer case chain. Mine stretched. Installed new one and everything works great.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the transfer case chain. If you think about the logic, a chain has many different parts that can wear and stretch. I have replaced multiple chains over the years in different vehicles that had clunking in the drivetrain. Almost always solved the problem. It seems to be more prevalent in vehicles that are driven in town from constant starting and stopping or from offroading or towing. Highway driven vehicles seem to have less of a problem with the chains.

redline165

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having this exact problem but I can hear what sounds like a chain slipping over teeth. Where do you get the replacement chain and a rebuild kit with the sensors

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having this exact problem but I can hear what sounds like a chain slipping over teeth. Where do you get the replacement chain and a rebuild kit with the sensors
Chain stretch is very common on a high mileage transfer case. If not caught fast enough it results in the chain chewing up the inside of the case and come peaking out of a YUGE hole that it has made which destroys the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n