Choose The Better Wheel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with these 24" but after looking at those i think i like the SS wheels.

View attachment 34093

justinesky, quick question about your set up in this pic. What size tires were you running on these 24" Esky reps? Also, I love the color of your truck. What is the color called? Is it Storm or Stealth Gray or something like that? My last car before my Suburban was an '03 Caddy Deville DTS and it was the same color! In fact, I don't think this is your truck, maybe it is, but I think its beautiful!

esky_zps0f939076.jpg

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's stealth grey. I think the tbss wheels with a 295 40 24 tire is the best choice.

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when tony got rid of his 24 escalade replicas and got the futures he said he lost like 15 lbs a wheel or something crazy like that

Yeah, I know. That's a big difference, Lee. Especially when you consider that's 15 pounds PER WHEEL. Multiplied by four wheels, that's a difference of 60 pounds of rotational mass lost. I'm sure braking performance would increase with the use of a lighter wheel, acceleration would be a tad better, fuel ecomomy could arguably be a tiny bit better, plus less overall wear and tear on the drive line in general over time. But, oh well. I've already installed bigger brakes which should cancel out the loss in brake performance, plus I've also made a few small performance upgrades and then had Justin of Black Bear Performance perform an in-person tune on the truck to take full advantage of those upgrades, so the acceleration aspect should still be about as good as if my truck was running stock sized wheels and no performance upgrades/tune, so that cancels the acceleration loss out, too. Plus, eventually, I plan on going even BIGGER with the brakes. Wilwoods, baby! Just waiting for Fiatdale to finally decide he wants to let his set go!

So, for the most part, each time I've made a change to the truck that decreases performance, I've made the necessary upgrades elsewhere to at least negate that performance loss, which I think is the right way to do it. I can't imagine running big ass heavy wheels WITHOUT accounting for that with upgraded brakes and more power. It would be awful!

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

That's stealth grey. I think the tbss wheels with a 295 40 24 tire is the best choice.

Thanks, man. I knew I had it right with one of the two I listed. Just couldn't remember for sure which one my Caddy was!

So I've now got six votes in favor of the TBSS wheels and one in favor of the CK375's. And as far as tires, I was considering 295/35/24 instead of the 295/40/24's because I'd REALLY like to keep rubbing to a minimum. I'm not a big fan of hacking up my fender liners and with the 295/35's being shorter than the 295/40's, I was thinking I'd have less rubbing in the end. With my current 22's on 305/40's I have VERY minimal rubbing up front, and in the rear I had to do some minor, very clean trimming of a couple spots on the rear liners. I'm just afraid that with as low as I am now, after stepping up to a 24" wheel, I'll have serious rubbing issues no matter what size tires I went with. I'd have to talk to some guys with 24's to either confirm or deny my fears, though. It might not be as bad as I'm thinking it would be.

Last edited:

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was an Esky I'd say 375's but since its a Burb I think the chrome TBSS will flow better. 24's really work on the Burbs and XL's-especially when lowered... GL

And plus if you do Willwoods...those gaps in the TBSS wheels will let them brakes see alot of daylight!

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was an Esky I'd say 375's but since its a Burb I think the chrome TBSS will flow better. 24's really work on the Burbs and XL's-especially when lowered... GL

And plus if you do Willwoods...those gaps in the TBSS wheels will let them brakes see alot of daylight!

Good point on the Wilwoods showing nicely through the TBSS reps! Thanks for the input!

So now I'm at seven votes for TBSS reps and still only one vote for the CK's.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

So after a quick tire size comparison, the stock Esky 22's run a 285/45/22 tire which measure 32.1" tall and 11.2" wide. The 295/35/24 tire I was thinking would work best for my particular application measures 32.1" tall and 11.6" wide. So the overall tire height is identical between the two, and the difference in width is only about 5/8" wider on the 295/35/24's. I know even at my low ride height the factory Esky 285/45/22 tires really don't rub at all, so with the height being the same and the width being a tad wider, I don't think stepping up to the 24's would cause as many rubbing issues as I first expected. In fact, it really shouldn't be much, if any, worse than what I'm experiencing now with my 22's, which is minimal. I can definitely live with that as long as I stick with the 295/35/24 tires.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

I'm surprised the votes have been so much more in favor of the TBSS wheels. Are the CK375's getting played out, or what? Lol. I was expecting it to be much closer than this!

Last edited:

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
justinesky, quick question about your set up in this pic. What size tires were you running on these 24" Esky reps? Also, I love the color of your truck. What is the color called? Is it Storm or Stealth Gray or something like that? My last car before my Suburban was an '03 Caddy Deville DTS and it was the same color! In fact, I don't think this is your truck, maybe it is, but I think its beautiful!

esky_zps0f939076.jpg

Clean07burb, That esky is not mine. I do want to lower mine almost as low as that but im afraid ill smash my fenders. I am running 305/35/24 for tires and the color is called stealth gray.

Mines not quit as low as the one in your pic but I would like to go a little lower then it sits now but also dont want to hurt ride quality.

esky work.jpg

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also toying with the thought of removing my roof rack. I like the way they look with out them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotwell69

Latest posts