lift advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

possumsquisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just bought a 2005 Z71 Tahoe and have been trying to get the best info I can get. I have 285/75 R17's on it with a little rub. I have a ranchhand frontend replacement summit series that I'm going to put on it and I will need something that will handle the extra weight @ 170lbs. Going to put the rear bumper replacement also 130lbs just bought a 2005 Z71 Tahoe and have been trying to get the best info I can get. I have 285/75 R17's on it with a little rub. I have a ranchhand frontend replacement summit series that I'm going to put on it and I will need something that will handle the extra weight @ 170lbs. Going to put the rear bumper replacement also 130lbs

1. I was thinking of putting the Ford keys in the front to raise it 3".
Pros vs Cons how will it affect ride, stress cv joint, etc

2 Are new shocks needed? thinking Bilsteins 5100's what length will I need?

3 Rear 1.5" coil spacers. best brand for the buck? metal vs. poly? will
the poly ride smoother and will they last?

4 Will I need new rear shocks?

5 Sway bars Thoughts?

Also will it need to be realigned?

What all will it all take?

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
Heres what I can tell ya.. If you are going to change the keys only go up 2" anything over that can put a lot of strain on your cv joints and possibly break them especially if you are planning on doing a lot of off-roading. After changing the keys you will need to get the truck realigned. Also if you are planning on changing the keys yourself you will need a torsion bar unloading tool, I am pretty sure you can rent these.

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
i didnt have a torsion bar unloading tool when i did mine. a big C clamp will work. just watch your ass

02TahoeMD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2"coil spacer lift with F150 keys on cranked torsion bars on my rig. Been like that for about a year with no issues. You will need a longer than normal shock though if you do a modification like this, to prevent any overextension of your shocks.

Delrin or metal spacers will work. Delrin is really strong stuff. Make sure you epoxy the spacers down for added safety. I did a write up of my suspension mods already, hopefully it can answer any questions you may have. Click here for more info.

Any way I can help, just ask!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269