CCM + stock 20in = what tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snipershrk

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased a new 2013 slt 4x4 yukon with tow package. I have the CCM 2.5 leveling kit on order and now I'm on to tires. The reason for the kit is pure function as I'm on the beach or in south texas hunting. Needless to say dropping a lot of money in new wheels aren't high on the priority list but tires are. The darn front end sure does sit low. Might as well be driving a 4x4 car.

So, the million dollar question... what is the largest tire I can run on the stock 20's with the leveling kit? Looked but seems like most do a wheel and tire package at the same time. Is there a reason for this?

I guess another question is if you all are finding that you need a regear or not?

Just a thought that maybe helpful here... On another off-road form I use for the jeep is a sticky called "will it rub or not". Basically it's all the most common lift heights and required backspacing if needed. Also has things like no, minor, and major trimming required. Like I said, just a thought.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snipershrk

Snipershrk

Reaction score
After looking at a side by side pic of the 305 vs. 285... I think the 305 might be better down on the coast. So 305's if possible. Thanks for the help.

Canuck-Avalanche

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've just got 2" up in the front, have a valence and mudguards. I have OEM 20's with 275-60-20's. Zero cut, zero rub.

I know you can get a 305/55/20 in there, but it will take cutting.... and a 55 series is pretty thin. 285/60/20 is around 34". Again I'm sure trimming will be a must but there is a little more sidewall to that tire......

OP
OP
Snipershrk

Snipershrk

Reaction score
Haha, about the only thing I've decided at this point are that none of my options are stellar! Waiting for the CCM to arrive either today or tomorrow. I'll put it on and see what the front end looks like in stock form. The ability to air down is priceless out on the soft sand so the 285's get the nod in that aspect. Then again once you air down the height goes with it. Lol the jeep is so much easier but I'm wanting to put something together a little more comfy for the longer trips. Then again getting stuck 40mi. Down Padre Island with a trailer isn't high on my list of priorities either. Long story short, still debating. Either way, at this point I'm pretty sure a nice set of sand ladders for this rig are in the future as well.

Other thoughts and opinions both positive and negative are more than welcome :)
Perhaps you've thought or come across an issue that hasn't crossed my mind so I'm really all ears!
Thanks

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not 275/60/20? the prices are cheap and plenty of tires to choose from. I dont think you should have a problem in the sand down there, plenty of small tire trucks make it though the deep sand in Hatteras all the time, I dont think south padre is as bad.

OP
OP
Snipershrk

Snipershrk

Reaction score
why not 275/60/20? the prices are cheap and plenty of tires to choose from. I dont think you should have a problem in the sand down there, plenty of small tire trucks make it though the deep sand in Hatteras all the time, I dont think south padre is as bad.

This is true, the problem lies in the fact that I am on the coast on average 3 times a month at 2-4 days a shot and always during the week. I love being out on my own but if something goes wrong... You are on your own lol. At the same time the truck will be other places as well, that's just an idea of an average week for me.

I was Looking at a tire size comparison calculator today. From what I can gather is that between the different tire sizes (if you are going to a larger tire on stock 20's) the sidewall height advantage is minimal. Originally I thought the 285's would end up being the ticket, but now I think that's not the right direction.

I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, I just don't see a lot of advantage in addressing issues with sidewall height (again assuming you are going to bigger meats). At this time I'm more inclined to think that the largest advantage towards performance is moving to addressing the width of the tire. While I feel sidewall heights between the larger tires are minimal... The width of the 305 is actually a pretty substantial upgrade between them. Basically, you'd see where your money went from all angles and not just the sides.

My thinking, and what that means for me in the sand... Because the side walls are so close in size Airing down will not provide much of a difference in footprint between the larger tires. At least with the 305's I can start off about 1.25in. wider vs. some tire options and then add the air down footprint to that. I feel that's a pretty substantial number.

Thanks!

Oh yea, got the CCM kit today:D

HD4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I have read here and other places the 305 will rub even with the level kit vs 285/55/20 you will not rub. Also if it matters your MPG will suffer for sure. Wider tire, more resistance, wide contact MPG will be less. I don't care about MPG with a Suburban but some will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20