catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archtoker420

Reaction score
So my 99 yukon is throwing a code for bad cat. I was looking at a magnaflow direct fit bolt on. My truck already has magnaflow exhaust but stock cats. Would it be worth it for the bolt on? And would i jave to change anything or will it bolt straight on since its not stock exhaust?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the code?

The computer cannot diagnose the condition of the catalytic converters, but can report inefficiency based on oxygen sensor output. In other words, it may not necessarily be a bad converter. It could be an oxygen sensor, faulty injector or exhaust leak.

Catalytic converters don't usually go bad without some underlying cause...such as running rich and sending unburned fuel into the converter. Replacing a bad converter without fixing the root issue will usually just ruin the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
I dont remember the code exactly. Had autozone run it and told me it was a bad cat

99Vortec

Reaction score
Your '99 will have a bank1 upstream and downstream Oxygen sensor and a bank2 upstream and downstream Oxygen sensor lined up on each Catalytic converter.

If you have ever had a problem with unburned fuel running into your Catalytic converters then they could be damaged.

Are you getting any P0307 or P0308 misfire codes?

If a catalytic converter is breaking down, the engine will sometimes draw the dust back into the rear cylinders and misfire them.

Good Luck!
Here is where my fuel system flooded my cats... http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/p0308-troubleshooting.66738/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
No misfire codes guy who installed my new cats ran it again and itt only had the one code for a bad cat.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the code?

There isn't a code that says "replace the catalytic converter"...only codes that say that the efficiency as detected by the oxygen sensors is not within spec. While this could be the result of a bad converter, it could also just be a flaky oxygen sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Im not sure exactly didnt think to ask since i replaced the cats and he said it was all good. Both the oreillys giy swho ran it months ago just told me it was a bad cat. I replaced the o2 sensors awhile back. No ones said anything about those when the codes were ran.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10