calling all suspension and rim/tire experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black vortec 713

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive got some 22's on my 02 tahoe with 305/40 tires
i get a vibration in the steering wheel from about 55 mph to 70.
i have balanced them twice, gotten an alignment, and replaced some worn out front end stuff like inner tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm with moog stuff.
eversince all of that the vibration has gotten alot less but i still have a pretty bad vibration....

and also when going over a bumpy road or a road bump...i hear a clunking noise in the back towards the rear....it sounds like metal on metal hitting each other....i replaced my emergency brake pads a while ago and when i got my alignment last week they told me one of the bolts that holds my brake calipers shut is missing on the bottom so they said that was the sound im hearing...when i put a bolt in the sound was gone for about 2 hours then came back.....
if anyone knows or has any ideas about this please help

im willing to try anything

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are the tires? you could have a bad tire, when I had 22's on my truck it shook around 70-75 but it was a bent rim on the right front,
It balanced ok but they never caught the rim...

Did you check the rear sway bar links?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Could be slip yoke related like was said in the other thread.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

BTW, most bent rims vibrate constantly, not at certain high speeds.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
balance the rear wheels without tires see what you get

OP
OP
B

black vortec 713

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the rims/tires new. Their about 4weeks old. No damage what so ever.
im assuming its front end related since the steering also shakes...i looked at my front end today and noticed a part that was loose on both sides of the truck...i forgot what its called, but its a pretty skinny rod that connects from the bottom of the lower control arm and goes up somewhere(vertically)(cant remember where)...any way im replacing those soon i
went to the local auto parts store Its 22$ a piece so ill pick those up soon....i was wondering if they would cause that shaking...

Thanks guys...does anyone know if that would be the problem??

prosts1003

Reaction score
check your u joints had the same problem with a van at work new u joints and re balanced tires and it was good but that was also on a E350 with 95,000 harsh miles

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the cheap stuff first. Rotate tires, new wheels or not it takes one harsh bump to bend a wheel. A bent wheel doesn't vibrate all the time. The right front wheel on my wife's Yukon is bent. At 25...no vibration. 35,45,55,65 no vibration. After that yes. I've just been too busy to rotate them myself. I would also consider if all of the front suspension is ok I'd consider installing a steering stabilizer.

1lowhoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you replaced your front HUBS YET!!!>???mine are going bad on my 04 it sucks there about 300 a side but thst willl also help