Buying a high mileage Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, is it a private sale or through a dealer? If through a dealer, it should have already been inspected and I would ask them for the carfax. If private, I would definitely order the carfax myself if the private party hasn't made it available. If it was well maintained, then it should have had it's 100K stuff already done... plugs, fluids, etc.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, is it a private sale or through a dealer? If through a dealer, it should have already been inspected and I would ask them for the carfax. If private, I would definitely order the carfax myself if the private party hasn't made it available. If it was well maintained, then it should have had it's 100K stuff already done... plugs, fluids, etc.
Yes I think all that was done. I have all the service records. Haven't gone through all of them but I recall the 100,000 km service in there.
Shocks were done already but water pump I have to get checked as well.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

gc_mountainman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone i am new to the forum and was curious on your thoughts about buying a high mileage Tahoe. I found a loaded 2015 with 140k miles for only 25k and it just seems like they dont get much cheaper. Any thoughts on this?

ChrisVolz I am not familiar with the newer Tahoes, but I have an older Tahoe, 1998, which I purchased from the original owner in 2012. My Tahoe had 245,000 km's when I purchased it and now it is just over 436,500 km's. The Tahoe is a solid design and as long you do your routine maintenance, your Tahoe should be on the road for many, many years. What I have learned is that the Tahoe wants to be driven, daily is good. Yes, they leak when they get old but that does not mean you will not get a long life out of one.

I agree with others on here, do a complete change of fluids, check brakes, and front end components. My first two repairs included changing fuel lines and new leaf springs. Other than regular replacement of tires, brakes, fluids and other parts that wear out, the most recent replacement was the tranny Dec 2016.

So long, as you are willing to invest in the repairs that will be needed over time, no reason why you should not be able to get another 140 - 200K out of the Tahoe.

Best success.

OP
OP
C

ChrisVolz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the helpful advice but it ended up selling before i could buy it. i thought i had time since is was on the market for two months. And of course the day i look at the carfax and realize it had perfect maintenance records is the day it sells. i have a low budget so most likely i will be buying a high mileage soon

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the helpful advice but it ended up selling before i could buy it. i thought i had time since is was on the market for two months. And of course the day i look at the carfax and realize it had perfect maintenance records is the day it sells. i have a low budget so most likely i will be buying a high mileage soon
Sorry to hear that... There's another one out there for you. Keep the search alive and let us know when you find it. Lots of great folks here to help you out when you do!

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that... There's another one out there for you. Keep the search alive and let us know when you find it. Lots of great folks here to help you out when you do!
I just bought a 2004 GMC Yukon. Has over 300,000 kms on it. Runs good. I have to get some work done to it but it is one solid suv.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

UFBeef

Reaction score
I just bought a 15 tahoe z71 with 95k on it, everything checked put and the price was right, got rotors and pads on the way now and gonna do a full service plus shocks in the near future. No reservations about it, I would have done all this anyway because I'm just that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
revrae

Latest posts