Buying a 04 Tahoe z71 with 250k input please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbz03

Reaction score
Hey guys I was offer a 04 Tahoe z71 mint condition guy did some work to it like brakes that's about it is a friend he wants $3500 is that a good deal

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

I'm just curious is the engine going to give it quits?

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's a lot of miles not saying it has a bad motor or trans but you better think hard that's a lot miles.

And if do buy it if it need either one or both are you ready to put the money into it to fix it or are you better off spending a little more now and finding one with less miles and less chances it needs and major work do to high mileage.

Just about any time you buy a used car truck or SUV you could get great one or some else's POS buyer beware.

I done both LOL.

Last edited:

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used low mileage 5.3 engines can be had for $500 or so. If the truck is really in mint condition than price sounds good. Motor blows...depends how you look at it but I'd be more concerned about the transmission history than the engine.

Cameron

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3500 for a 2004 with 250k miles absolutly not thats way to many miles
Haha...bologne...

I have a 2003 with near 250k & it's been 100% flawless. Just smogged with near perfect readings. Never a single issue beyond maintenance. It's had regular oil changes, trans fluid changes, front hubs once, brakes once, a fuel pump, & a few tune ups.

If it runs good & is in mint condition I'd drop 3k-3.5k in a heartbeat on it if I was looking for one. Known issues are fuel pumps & transmissions...& those aren't mileage specific at all. Only cases of blown motors or bad motors I've read about are misuse, poor maintenance, or modded motors.

Cameron

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Haha...bologne...

I have a 2003 with near 250k & it's been 100% flawless. Just smogged with near perfect readings. Never a single issue beyond maintenance. It's had regular oil changes, trans fluid changes, front hubs once, brakes once, a fuel pump, & a few tune ups.

If it runs good & is in mint condition I'd drop 3k-3.5k in a heartbeat on it if I was looking for one. Known issues are fuel pumps & transmissions...& those aren't mileage specific at all. Only cases of blown motors or bad motors I've read about are misuse, poor maintenance, or modded motors.

Cameron

Exactly! And if he has no idea of how well it has been taken care of and no documentation to back up any claims then he should walk away. You know yours. You have done or had the work done. It is a crap shoot and the odds are against a good outcome.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Seller says mint condition and done some brakes. Walk away or take a chance, it's your money. I come by my money hard enough that I like better odds than that.

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for you're Info the my 2001 Yukon had 155k and it need new rear main seal it had no leaks or puddles under it when I got it and did not see any leak when I got it.

I had it fro a month now and now it needs a rear main seal $40.00 for the part if let a shop fix it I figuring about a grand for them to fix for me or what I going to do is do it my self very soon.

Just because it has high or low mileage don't mean it good or bad deal but higher mileage bigger change you are hopping it a good one.

And soon after I purchased my Yukon I changed all the Fluids my self unless they have all the paperwork saying mileage and dates all the servicing was done plan on doing it soon after you get it just to make sure you know there good to go.

Not a disaster waiting to happen, beside it also gives you a good idea what kind of servicing it had in the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mbz03

Reaction score
Thanks guys yeah I don't know any maintainance on the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommy2boys211