Buyer Beware - Don't Buy a Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
sadly this is a common post. I've noticed gm dropping off over the years and what really gets me is it's the drivetrain that's failing. if it was all the new bells and whistles I could almost see it. but it's a old push rod v8 getting 15mpg. this is not rocket science. not some cutting edge twin turbo 4 cam low volume run. these are on everything gm makes for years.

the 13 person waiting list is very telling. they can't get parts and they are breaking faster than they can be fixed.

someone in gm has to know as soon as they lose the return customer, he's never coming back to your brand.. burning bridges.
Unfortunately, Dodge/Jeep (what ever they call themselves now) and Ford are all having their own issues. My buddies 2020 F 150 needs a new cam phaser at $7,500.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be fair anything Chrysler has always had reliability problems.
the ford's, that just a shame thou, and I'm not a Ford guy but I work on them a lot. I tell you I'm putting a brand in engine in if any of mine fail. not messing with that chain nonsense haha. but Ford has always has weird stuff from blowing out spark plugs to intakes breaking and hydrolocking engines.

it's just sad cause gm has always been solid seemed solid old school push rod engine and I know a 700e4 4l60 has a bad rap as any performance use, but they lasted a good long time in daily drivers and we're cheap to repair.

just feel like anything from the gmt 800 got progressively worse and became throw away. I can't in good conscience recommend anything gm to with over 120k to people I know that can't or won't work on anything themselves. but to be fair, they have mostly all switched to imports after being burned already by American cars/trucks. it's just sad to see it getting worse not better.

umar96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So if I want a large body on frame full size SUV and want something that'll give me my moneys worth (not give unexpected issues causing massive headaches) what should I buy?

I've basically narrowed it down to a diesel Yukon or a Sequoia? The Sequoia 3rd row is awful though, not sure how they managed to waste so much space. And the Yukon diesel... these posts are scaring me lol

15burban

Reaction score
these posts are scaring me lol
One thing to remember is a lot of people don't come on forums to say how great their vehicle is and its problem free. Most come on with problems looking for solutions or to bash the brand. So the majority of what a person sees is the problems and not the other hundreds of thousands of the same vehicle that don't have them. Sadly some people just get stuck with a lemon but they are by far the minority.

umar96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One thing to remember is a lot of people don't come on forums to say how great their vehicle is and its problem free. Most come on with problems looking for solutions or to bash the brand. So the majority of what a person sees is the problems and not the other hundreds of thousands of the same vehicle that don't have them. Sadly some people just get stuck with a lemon but they are by far the minority.

That's fair. It's just that the level of problems being shared here are way worse than other car forums I've looked at. The Toyota forums aren't sharing catastrophic engine failures.

I have noticed that the diesel engine subforums have less complaints though. Is it fair to say that the Duramax is the more reliable engine?

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
That's fair. It's just that the level of problems being shared here are way worse than other car forums I've looked at. The Toyota forums aren't sharing catastrophic engine failures.

I have noticed that the diesel engine subforums have less complaints though. Is it fair to say that the Duramax is the more reliable engine?
We our on our 2nd 3.0l diesel and no issues with either one. 1st was a 2021 Silverado and current is 23 Tahoe. One thing to consider is the diesel doesn't have AFM/DFM so lifter issues experienced with the 5.3l and 6.2l don't exist. It does have the auto stop/start that can be disabled. Also the 3.0l doesn't suffer the DPF issues like the 6.6l does if not worked.

15burban

Reaction score
Is it fair to say that the Duramax is the more reliable engine?
Possibly. Just a guess but I bet gm sells a lot more gas vs diesels in these rigs so that might be why you don't hear as many problems with diesels. I've read about a few on here but that's what the warranty is for.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score

I have the 3.0 Duramax in my 24 Yukon, and from all of the research I've done, people are for the most part really happy with it. The fuel mileage is far superior to the 5.3 or 6.2.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you look at this and other forums, you will see that there are FAR fewer issues with the dmax, period. It's had a few teething issues, but at almost 30K mine drivetrain wise has been flawless, and I don't lose any sleep over lifter or main bearing issues at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401