Buyer Beware - Don't Buy a Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

23Ultimate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 23 Yukon XL Denali Ultimate 6 months ago and it's been nothing but a nightmare. In the shop 3 times with just 9,000 miles on it, first stop was for a lifter fix for 10 days and then the last 2 have been related to the vehicle stranding us while cranking but not starting. $100K+ vehicle with these issues and no courtesy transportation from the dealership on the last issue. (other than an Uber ride home) I would highly encourage you to reconsider purchasing a new Yukon as it's extraordinarily frustrating having such an expensive and unreliable vehicle, I really just wish I had my 2016 Suburban back.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can contact GM customer service and see if they will authorize a buyback. Also check the Lemon Law in your state, you could also look for a Lemon Law attorney in your area. They normally do not charge upfront and get paid as part of the Lemon Law. Good luck with your decision.

Airman68

Reaction score
These kinds of posts are interesting. Guy spends $100k on a truck and it's junk. I have a hard time relating to this because, in all my years of driving, I dont think I came even close to spending that kind of money on ALL my vehicles, combined. Nothing against people who have them, I'm sure I would if I had the cash. That said, I agree with the lemon law thing, good luck.

OP
OP

23Ultimate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can contact GM customer service and see if they will authorize a buyback. Also check the Lemon Law in your state, you could also look for a Lemon Law attorney in your area. They normally do not charge upfront and get paid as part of the Lemon Law. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. We haven’t met the threshold of the Oklahoma Lemon Law yet but I am planning to reach out to GM corp customer service.

OP
OP

23Ultimate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These kinds of posts are interesting. Guy spends $100k on a truck and it's junk. I have a hard time relating to this because, in all my years of driving, I dont think I came even close to spending that kind of money on ALL my vehicles, combined. Nothing against people who have them, I'm sure I would if I had the cash. That said, I agree with the lemon law thing, good luck.
Certainly far and away the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever owned and it was purchased for my wife.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should for sure authorize a rental/loaner vehicle if kept overnight...
Who wants to go thru all that crap and paperwork to “rent” a vehicle not knowing who will pay for it or how long it will be. They should just toss you the keys to another newer vehicle on the lot and let you get on with your life.
But as expensive as a vehicle it is…GMC dealers don’t guarantee loaners, and mine has been in two or three times and the only time I ever got one is when I took it in for a safety/airbag issue And parts were weeks away….

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand-new $50K 2004 Cadillac SRX in 2004 - picked 'blue' as the color. So after the paperwork, they pulled up a brand-new blue one... with a small dent over the rear wheel. Had to wait a few days for a fix. Talk about a let-down as one normally expects to 'drive off the lot'.

First week, oil dripping on the garage floor. They did something for a few days. Back home and still dripping oil.

3rd week back in - they rebuilt the front portion of the engine, mechanic kept if for several days - FIXED.

5th week - drips of oil from rear. They found the gasket on the rear differential was not installed properly/partially fallen into the differential - FIXED.

Finally - a few years of good service.

And them some pretty serious issues at 20K miles, 30K miles, 80K miles, .... around wiring burning/breaking thru + stability AWD unit issues.

All on a brand-new car!!! Well, today I still have it, it runs great and is at 170,000miles but have been told I was a fool to put up with the oil leaks at the beginning due to lemon laws.

I don't know - all cars cost $ to maintain!!! It's been a fantastically useful/fun car to drive.

I feel you're pain but maybe it will turn out OK in the long run? (if that helps)

Last edited:

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like more of a dealer problem. Maybe I’m lucky, but my dealer would never let that happen. I’ve been buying there for years and know the service manager and have owners cell number as well. I think they would provide a longer, or rental, even if they had to take it from a sales manager.

OP
OP

23Ultimate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a brand-new $50K 2004 Cadillac SRX in 2004 - picked 'blue' as the color. So after the paperwork, they pulled up a brand-new blue one... with a small dent over the rear wheel. Had to wait a few days for a fix. Talk about a let-down as one normally expects to 'drive off the lot'.

First week, oil dripping on the garage floor. They did something for a few days. Back home and still dripping oil.

3rd week back in - they rebuilt the front portion of the engine, mechanic kept if for several days - FIXED.

5th week - drips of oil from rear. They found the gasket on the rear differential was not installed properly/partially fallen into the differential - FIXED.

Finally - a few years of good service.

And them some pretty serious issues at 20K miles, 30K miles, 80K miles, .... around wiring burning/breaking thru + stability AWD unit issues.

All on a brand-new car!!! Well, today I still have it, it runs great and is at 170,000miles but have been told I was a fool to put up with the oil leaks at the beginning due to lemon laws.

I don't know - all cars cost $ to maintain!!! It's been a fantastically useful/fun car to drive.

I feel you're pain but maybe it will turn out OK in the long run? (if that helps)
I’m glad your experience turned out in the long run and thanks for sharing the positive thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar