Bumper to Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 5.3 with 147000 on it so far. im planniing on getting at least 250k out of it. i drive in a 3 mile loop 5 days of the week with heavy traffic. i idle for most of the time, then get up to speed, then stop, idle, go again. how bad is this short driving for my engine besides the fact its gonna burn oil? I know highway miles are ideal, but this is what i need it for right now.

TommyR

Reaction score
I just rolled over 334k on my 5.3 with just basic maintenance on it. Give it good oil in normal intervals and I don't think you'll have much of an issue. Yeah I've got some lifter noise and I'm burning maybe a quart per oil change, but the truck runs fine. Considering Tahoes of our body style were VERY popular with police forces and probably sat around an idled for thousands of hours, I think you'll be fine too

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 5.3 with 147000 on it so far. im planniing on getting at least 250k out of it. i drive in a 3 mile loop 5 days of the week with heavy traffic. i idle for most of the time, then get up to speed, then stop, idle, go again. how bad is this short driving for my engine besides the fact its gonna burn oil? I know highway miles are ideal, but this is what i need it for right now.

Regular and frequent maintenance will do wonders.

Also, might seem silly to some, but consider taking a longer drive once a week to stretch legs. Even just a weekly 20-mile loop at 60 mph could be a small benefit.

OP
OP
CamReynolds

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular and frequent maintenance will do wonders.

Also, might seem silly to some, but consider taking a longer drive once a week to stretch legs. Even just a weekly 20-mile loop at 60 mph could be a small benefit.
I drive 30 miles almost guaranteed on Sundays. And we still use my truck for vacations. I guess it's fine I just hate sitting in traffic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork