Buffeting Explanation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an excellent explanation. I thought it was going to explain what causes the new trucks to have that issue when the windows are all rolled up though....

OP
OP
FJ40INTOW

FJ40INTOW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My guess is with this assumption, any air leak into cab can cause the buffeting. The leak may only appear once the vehicle is in motion.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried experimenting with hood deflectors, vent visors, different side view mirrors to see if that made a difference with buffeting when the windows are up. I had a buddy who complained of buffering after he installed some aftermarket roof racks on his Cherokee and eventually ended up taking them off because of that.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried experimenting with hood deflectors, vent visors, different side view mirrors to see if that made a difference with buffeting when the windows are up. I had a buddy who complained of buffering after he installed some aftermarket roof racks on his Cherokee and eventually ended up taking them off because of that.
Seen I don't know what I'm looking for... I can't tell.
And of course I know about cracking one of the other windows when you open one up.
Opening the sunroof seen fine to me.

20161019_184234.jpg

nj16yukon

Reaction score
My guess is with this assumption, any air leak into cab can cause the buffeting. The leak may only appear once the vehicle is in motion.

The buffeting that occurs is a form of resonance, and only occurs when the conditions are just right. The size of the opening, the turbulence of the air outside the opening, and the volume of the air inside the car all play a factor as to whether or not resonance occurs.

As the article points out, the car behaves like a Helmholtz resonator. The system is hitting a resonant frequency where a small driving force has the ability to produce large oscillations (think opera singer shattering a wine glass). When you open another window, you change the resonant frequency of the system, and the buffeting stops. An acoustic guitar is another type of Helmholtz resonator.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The article made perfect sense. Without a wind tunnel, the only DIY that I could think of doing would be trying to change the airflow outside the vehicle. That type of buffeting could be coming from anywhere, even underneath the vehicle. It's hard to believe with all the complaints that somebody hasn't figured out what's causing it. It would drive me insane, especially after spending that much money.

Trying to solve it when you only get it when the windows are open is another story. I had a 2008 Highlander and you could not drive over 20 MPH with the rear windows down without the buffeting getting unbearable.

nj16yukon

Reaction score
I think there are multiple different issues at play here. Buffeting is a resonance effect that you hear as a "whoomp-whoomp" with a rear window open. Many cars do this. I believe that the sensation people are feeling in their ears is a different issue, where something with the aerodynamics of the car (and possibly related to the vent system) is affecting cabin pressure in a negative way.

OP
OP
FJ40INTOW

FJ40INTOW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GMC offers the Active Noise Cancellation. If I remember Lotus developed this technology. It would detect a "Noise" and reproduce said noise out of phase to cancel it out. You may not be able to notice the noise but it raises the sound pressure in the cabin. I remember hearing about this when installing car stereos, If you had no bass it could be that one of the 6x9 speakers was wired backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon