Corroding (interior) of 22" OEM split-spoke style wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fr8bil

Reaction score
Anyone else dealing interior wheel corrosion on the OEM 22" Split Spoke style wheels ? Losing air in one tire, thought I had a puncture and took it to a good shop and they had difficulty finding the cause. The tech finally dismounted the tire and inspected the rim. Found corrosion had built up that was causing the bead of the tire to not seat properly against the wheel and he cleaned the corrosion and applied a bead sealer product to the bead surface of the rim. I'll be checking the pressure every couple of days to see if fixed but this is an Aluminum wheel and now I'm wondering about what caused it and what about the other three wheels ? One of the Counter guys said they had seen this previously on Cadillac wheels.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a common issue with these rims (not just GM trucks/cars). Every time that I need a tire to be removed from the rim for any reason, my shop takes an air tool with a very mild abrasive and runs over the entire circumference of the rim where it meets the tire, and then applies bead sealant. I've had some slow leaks (bead leaks) that have been eliminated by this procedure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019