Bouncy suspension after new shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced all 4 shocks on my 1997 GMC Yukon 4dr 4wd because the truck was bouncing and rolling around corners and I still have a pretty bad bounce in the front. The shocks are brand new Monroe Reflex. I also just had a set of brand new Firestone Destination AT tires put on today. Do these shocks have to settle for a couple days or is there something else that could be wrong? I'm sick of my truck riding like a 70's caddy!

JenneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You put on 4 brand new shocks and it's still the same?

Checking the sway bar links & bushings would be my next step. Make sure links are not broken, the rubber is good and same for the bushings.

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JenneK said:
You put on 4 brand new shocks and it's still the same?

Checking the sway bar links & bushings would be my next step. Make sure links are not broken, the rubber is good and same for the bushings.

The front end still feels like it has blown shocks, I'll check the links and bushings tomorrow.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem
first off the monroe shocks are junk trust me ive been there i hated them
second check all your sus componets sway bar links ect..
i dumped 1500 bucks into mine and now shes really stiff =)

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tire pressure? I got my tires mounted and got teh truck home to find out there was 55PSI in them....the max pressure for those tires.

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
donyukon said:
i had the same problem
first off the monroe shocks are junk trust me ive been there i hated them
second check all your sus componets sway bar links ect..
i dumped 1500 bucks into mine and now shes really stiff =)

This is my first time using anything other than Bilstein, they road way too harsh on my 1999 Denali so I thought id change it up. Maybe I should have just went with what I know and got the Bilsteins. Oh well lol. I'm gonna get under it today and start checking some stuff out.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

bowtiefreak said:
tire pressure? I got my tires mounted and got teh truck home to find out there was 55PSI in them....the max pressure for those tires.

I'll check that too

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
monroe reflexs or similar one are a good idea to some as they soften a relatively harsh ride because it is a true truck frame unit. you need to check other components as well.

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SunlitComet said:
monroe reflexs or similar one are a good idea to some as they soften a relatively harsh ride because it is a true truck frame unit. you need to check other components as well.

I checked out the front end and couldn't find anything wrong and then took it for a drive and now it seems to ride a lot better than it was yesterday and its not as sloppy now. Maybe the Monroes just needed to be broken in? Who knows? The reflexes don't handle like the Bilsteins so maybe I just wasn't used to the ride being a little softer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieselDean