Blown head gasket/Cracked head/tired of mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed that too, seems like the head gasket was blown there too. Well, what are you going to do? Get new heads or overhaul these? Do they still do 3 angle valve jobs?

How's the block (pistons, rings, crank and bearings) and intake?

Intake looks good, just very dirty, so going to clean it up. They had fairly new lower fel pro intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets too from previous owner. Block looks fine, pistons all look the same, not really any scoring on the walls, don’t know about rings, crank and bearings though. Motor never had any rattling or ticking to it. Always sounded tight. Oil pressure has always been very good.

The heads are going to be completely overhauled. Engine Rebuilders in WPB is going to do it for $95/Head. Others wanted $300-$400 for the same thing. They said to bring them the valve seals out of my kit and they will replace them, too. Springs get cut too.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good news all around Nathan.

It really is. I wish I had time to do a complete rebuild since it’s torn down this far, but we need the Hoe up and running ASAP. We just found out that my better half’s dad only has a couple months to live, so we need 2 vehicles in order for her to go spend time with him as much as possible.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: ALL of the valves are bad in the heads, PLUS, one of the heads is cracked. Looks like I'm gonna be searching for rebuilt heads. Good thing I started doing so before all this went down! Any other suggestions?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I poked around CL out of curiosity, saw a pair in Hollywood, but someone has got to have them in PBC. Maybe Randy (Randeez) knows someone, he's in Jupiter. L31 motor right? Auto Parts stores will have them but I think a machine shop might also have them too.

In Fort Lauderdale there are two places, Cylinder Head Exchange and Cylinder Head Depot. I used to take mine to some old timers off Andrews Avenue way back when, surely they have gone on to their reward by now, always working on exotic and old turn of the century (last century) motors and heads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I poked around CL out of curiosity, saw a pair in Hollywood, but someone has got to have them in PBC. Maybe Randy (Randeez) knows someone, he's in Jupiter. L31 motor right? Auto Parts stores will have them but I think a machine shop might also have them too.

In Fort Lauderdale there are two places, Cylinder Head Exchange and Cylinder Head Depot. I used to take mine to some old timers off Andrews Avenue way back when, surely they have gone on to their reward by now, always working on exotic and old turn of the century (last century) motors and heads.

Thanks for looking. I saw that pair in Hollywood, too, and a guy up in Sebastian has a set of 906 for $100 complete, just don't know the condition. Waiting for a reply. The machine shop that has mine don't have any of those heads. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Yeah it's an L31. Is Randeez active on this forum?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking. I saw that pair in Hollywood, too, and a guy up in Sebastian has a set of 906 for $100 complete, just don't know the condition. Waiting for a reply. The machine shop that has mine don't have any of those heads. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Yeah it's an L31. Is Randeez active on this forum?

Yes he is but maybe send him a PM, he's a car guy and races/attends regularly the drag strip. Saw those Sebastian ones too but not up to speed on Gen I part numbers, they looked good to my untrained eye.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes he is but maybe send him a PM, he's a car guy and races/attends regularly the drag strip. Saw those Sebastian ones too but not up to speed on Gen I part numbers, they looked good to my untrained eye.

Guy in Sebastian got back to me. They are straight pull offs. Not cleaned or checked. Contacted cylinder head exchange and they said $350/head. I’ll make sure to send Randeez a PM!

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good news! The guy in Hollywood has the set of 906 heavy duty heads with hardened seats! Plus he's going to buy mine off of me after he takes a look at them. Going Saturday to pick them up, then slapping everything back together on Sunday!

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on other things I should do while I’m in there? Water pump is getting replaced, belt tensioner replaced, intake cleaned, EGR blocked off, oil catch can, putting Zerex G-05 coolant in, new oil and filter, all new gaskets, AC compressor, AC condenser, AC accumulator, distributor, upper/lower radiator hoses, radiator cap with pressure relief switch, aaaaaand I think that’s it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork