Blown head gasket/Cracked head/tired of mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issue solved! Distributor gear in new billet was installed improperly from the factory. Dropped the old distributor in with the cap and rotor from new one, started it up, and was at -1.9. Turned it, went to 2.1, then got it down to 0.0-0.1! Truck fires right up, super smooth, no misfires, and no more P1345 code. Does anyone no how to take the gear off and install it properly? I’m going to call Skip White on Monday to get the issue resolved.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually it's held by an expansion pin

And good to hear man! Like you said always something stupid you never think to check

Thank you! 3 nights of dickin’ around with it, just to figure out it’s messed up haha. Have you ever taken one off? I assume you would just use a hammer and nail set to pop it out.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! 3 nights of dickin’ around with it, just to figure out it’s messed up haha. Have you ever taken one off? I assume you would just use a hammer and nail set to pop it out.
Yes, even the back end of drill bit of same size or a c*nt hair smaller than hole, you want to push the pin out, not expand it the pin with a nail if i make sense, and dont grab it with needle nose, push it all the way out

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, even the back end of drill bit of same size or a c*nt hair smaller than hole, you want to push the pin out, not expand it the pin with a nail if i make sense, and dont grab it with needle nose, push it all the way out

Thanks! Do I reuse the same pin? Any tips on lining it up properly?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i say clean it up, return, get your money back, why fix whats no longer broken?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be considered electronic and not returnable. You can use the same pin or take it to the hardware store/ autoparts place and match it up. They have those little bins full of diff sizes.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty sure you want to use a brass hammer to knock that gear off, and id use a punch to remove the roll pin, you can get new ones at harbor freight for like 3 bucks for a whole box of different sizes. if you feel the need to replace it.

and lying is not out of place here, tell em i dropped it in, but it never sat right, then i noticed the stock one was different, so they sold ya the wrong part or a damaged one.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be considered electronic and not returnable. You can use the same pin or take it to the hardware store/ autoparts place and match it up. They have those little bins full of diff sizes.

pretty sure you want to use a brass hammer to knock that gear off, and id use a punch to remove the roll pin, you can get new ones at harbor freight for like 3 bucks for a whole box of different sizes. if you feel the need to replace it.

and lying is not out of place here, tell em i dropped it in, but it never sat right, then i noticed the stock one was different, so they sold ya the wrong part or a damaged one.

Sweet, thanks guys! Misfire on Cylinder 6 is getting a little out of hand, plus random misfires on other cylinders. Doesn’t do it all the time though. Has to be the worn distributor gear.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to a guy at Skip White who is an engine builder. He said advance it a tooth, have someone hole their hand on top of the distributor and bump the starter til it falls in place. Would that work on these engines? It wouldn’t be on TDC anymore, but advancing a tooth like that (without removing distributor gear) would put it around +6 degrees, giving it room for adjustability, I just don’t see how that would work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts