Blown head gasket/Cracked head/tired of mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had issues with the Hoe misfiring from the beginning. Took it to multiple mechanics that did work, even said the trans was bad. Come to find out, the misfire was causing trans to act up. After temporarily fixing the misfire, it ran fine for a while with occasional misfires. About a month ago, I felt as if I possibly blew the trans, but it didn’t feel right. Had a shop look at it that said the trans was bad.

Well guess what? After buying used trans and transfer case, I hooked my scan tool up, drove it for the first time in a month, and the problems aren’t trans, but Cylinder 4 misfire skyrockets when shudder occurs. Open up overflow tank and have some bubbles coming up. Plus, coolant temps are erratic. Guess who has a blown head gasket?! After spending a couple grand just to find out it could have been fixed for a few hundred from the beginning. So, time to tear it down!

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do that on my old 350 once, too. It's not too bad. You got it.

Thanks for the support! From what I can see, just lots of accessories and brackets to take off the front, and all of the harness (plus much more), but I've taken that dang harness off so many times just getting to the MPFI lol.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go! Could have had the whole thing taken off this afternoon, but gonna pull heads tomorrow. Just need to pull head bolts and she’s coming off! Have a sneaky feeling that the rings are bad on Cylinder 4, as there was a ton of sludgy black gunk in the intake ports and the head ports. When the intake was pulled, coolant was coming out too. You can see rust at the back of the block too. Probably where coolant was leaking.

9C8D9D07-E78A-4BE9-869D-CE3F2CC563A2.jpeg C16E22D6-8045-47A0-A3C7-69CFB3FA1CBE.jpeg C053CDA1-87D7-42F2-982A-DFFCAEF4FB48.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts