Black plastic around the z71 side steps (removal)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed just the plastic part around the steps? Looks like just a couple bolts hold it on…

How easy is the removal? How easy to put back on? How exactly do you remove them?

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took mine off a few days ago. Pretty basic:

1. Snap off the 4 aluminum "rivets" below the 1/2" bolts. (small screwdriver works)

2. Remove 4 1/2" bolts holding plastic to mounting arm of the nerf bars
(There is a 4th 1/2" bolt at in the front plastic panel mounting it to the underside of the body)

3. Disassemble the 3 joints of the plastic segments

4. Loosen and/or remove the 4 1/2" bolts holding the mounting arms to the body.
Separate the plastic from the nerf bar and remount.

I heard you can do it without removing the nerf bars entirely, but it just seemed easier... plus it looks good without 'em all together, so i'm leaving it off for the time being.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

I meant to say that there is a *5th 1/2" bolt in the front plastic panel mounting it to the underside of the body

This should show you a pic, new the forum still figuring it out:

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2381&pictureid=17911

CREETO

Reaction score
took mine off o few years ago... gives the appearance that the truck sits higher because of the "see through" space between the bars and body. not too hard to do, and looks great! check out my pics.

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha just in appearance it looks "higher" off the ground.... but maybe it sits a little higher after shedding the extra weight??! lol

Fallz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took mine off my 2012 not that hard but I did wreck them taking them off lol.

OP
OP
08z71tahoe

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there has got to be an easier way to remove them then unbolting the steps... i could cut the off, but what if i wanna put them back on???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommyNomad