Black bear vs Hyper tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...

Hypertech is just changing basics like fuel and tire size.

BB

Can change shift pionts according to driving style.
Can add fuel and have your engine efficiently burn it.
Can make adjustments to the PCM to make sure all of your mods are efficiently used!

If you can get a inperson tune I highly recomend!

BB for life!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A custom tune is the way to go. I have a Hyper tech programmer that I can't give away.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A custom tune is the way to go. I have a Hyper tech programmer that I can't give away.

is that right? he he he....we need to talk. my tahoe has never felt right since going with bigger tires. it actually came with 245s and when i put on these 285s, it just felt different with shifting, the speedo was off etc. how much do you want for it? this would be until i get my BB which i'm not getting till i do my headers and muffler.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a hypertech tune, I thought it was okay but, there were some areas that still needed tweaking and that is the difference with the BB tune that I got today. It's a custom tune taking into account mods that have been added and your preferences plus your driving style. Big difference my engine feels like its freed up, its running better than it did when it was new. Get one you will not be dissapointed.

vjr021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys and your black bear.... You neglect to ask what the person is looking for out of a tune... one time tunes are great, but lack the options a hand held tuner gives you.

I swear by my Superchips programmer... Especially if you are under warranty... BB tune will void your GM warranty, while the SC tuner you can bring back to stock in 10 mins and the dealer will never know it is there.

also, you have options for towing, performance, economy, lower octane, etc.

SC even has an option for multiple VIN's on one tuner, so if you have a Vette, you can use it on that as well, or more than one truck at a time.

SC stores your ECU in their servers, so if you ever have an issue (tuner breaks, stolen, etc) you can get your factory tune back.

SC tunes you can also change shift points, firmness, etc. You can adjust the speedometer to compensate for bigger wheels/tires. This allows your ABS and speedo to be accurate.

SC cortex also comes with a two year powertrain warranty.

And regardless of what BB says, SC WILL work with you on a custom tune to accommodate performance upgrades.

BB tunes are great, but are limited to being tied to BB for everything. Make sure before you recommend someone a product you find out what their needs are...

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
...And regardless of what BB says, SC WILL work with you on a custom tune to accommodate performance upgrades.

BB tunes are great, but are limited to being tied to BB for everything. Make sure before you recommend someone a product you find out what their needs are...

I never recalled BB saying SC wouldn't work with you on a tune. There is help/support for the product. Also, I recall reading that Nelson Performance has teamed with SC to make his services available to SC owners.

BB tunes are not tied/limited to only Justin doing your tune. Unlike Wheatley he does not lock his tunes so if you have EFI Live you are able to make modifications and even consult BB before doing so.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You guys and your black bear.... You neglect to ask what the person is looking for out of a tune... one time tunes are great, but lack the options a hand held tuner gives you.

I swear by my Superchips programmer... Especially if you are under warranty... BB tune will void your GM warranty, while the SC tuner you can bring back to stock in 10 mins and the dealer will never know it is there.

also, you have options for towing, performance, economy, lower octane, etc.

SC even has an option for multiple VIN's on one tuner, so if you have a Vette, you can use it on that as well, or more than one truck at a time.

SC stores your ECU in their servers, so if you ever have an issue (tuner breaks, stolen, etc) you can get your factory tune back.

SC tunes you can also change shift points, firmness, etc. You can adjust the speedometer to compensate for bigger wheels/tires. This allows your ABS and speedo to be accurate.

SC cortex also comes with a two year powertrain warranty.

And regardless of what BB says, SC WILL work with you on a custom tune to accommodate performance upgrades.

I am not quite sure where you came up with the "no matter what BB says" quotes but I will leave that one alone.

With the SC "tuning", how do you, as the owner, command that you want to add 5* of timing at 3000rpm and the airmass equivalent of 1/3 throttle, 1.5* at 1500rpm and full throttle and 6* at 5000rpm and full throttle? How do you compensate for the airflow measurement difference due to an aftermarket air intake (completely different than just fudging the fuel delivery via injector modifying)? How do you adjust your shift pressures to be firmer or softer at only one specific torque range, or alter your part throttle shift parameters? etc, etc.

My point with this is that the "user-tunable" options are not all that they are cracked up to be and as you have stated, you need to contact a SuperChips in order to get any sort of custom work. Will SuperChips work off of datalogs or just off the cuff?

Last note, why is it that you say a BBP tune voids the warranty?

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not quite sure where you came up with the "no matter what BB says" quotes but I will leave that one alone.

With the SC "tuning", how do you, as the owner, command that you want to add 5* of timing at 3000rpm and the airmass equivalent of 1/3 throttle, 1.5* at 1500rpm and full throttle and 6* at 5000rpm and full throttle? How do you compensate for the airflow measurement difference due to an aftermarket air intake (completely different than just fudging the fuel delivery via injector modifying)? How do you adjust your shift pressures to be firmer or softer at only one specific torque range, or alter your part throttle shift parameters? etc, etc.

My point with this is that the "user-tunable" options are not all that they are cracked up to be and as you have stated, you need to contact a SuperChips in order to get any sort of custom work. Will SuperChips work off of datalogs or just off the cuff?

Last note, why is it that you say a BBP tune voids the warranty?

vjr021 = owned. Voids the warranty? You clearly know nothing about BBP, thier products or their tuning.

How about you read the website before you start spouting crap that you can't back up? I'm not saying that BBP is THE tune for everyone, because it's not. That being said, they sure have been good to me (as well as countless other people on this forum), and can do an awful lot with EFI Live. Justin and Jenna are two of the most stand up people I've worked with - if there is something they honestly cannot do that superchips or anyone else can, I've not heard of it.

How about you enlighten me as to what Superchips offers over BBP? If you need to change something, all you need to do is e-mail Justin or Jenna, AND THEY CHANGE IT FOR FREE. They reprogram another PCM with your tune + the changes, and you return the core. You're out shipping, big effin' deal. It might take a little longer, but the quality of the product makes it worth the wait for 99% of their customers.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get him Jenna. She makes a damn good point too. Find the thread where I posted a dyno sheet and some numbers. Not sure if I mentioned it in that thread but the base line number were WITH the hyper tech programmer and the custom tune was a huge jump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881