BB tuning notes, NNBS 07 5.3 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dheadv8q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met up with Justin yesterday in Brunswick. We had a great time, and he did a fantastic job. Although I opted for a 'mild' (87 octane) tune, he spent a lot of time making certain it was just the way I wanted it. The 07 Tahoe trans coding is different (he said it was really 5 speed code), so it took him extra time to get it right. One issue he found involves how the Flex Fuel engines work. The '% of alcohol' is interpreted now - there is no alcohol sensor. When I added the CAI it skewed the calculations and the programming assumed it was due to the fuel - to compensate it 'tuned itself' for 20% ethanol. This didn't effect my in town mileage much, but it sure did my highway mileage. Prior to the CAI, I had one out of town trip and got 18 mpg (65-70 mph).
Since I've only had the truck a month, work from home and don't make a lot of trips I really only noticed the highway mileage drop in the last week. On the trip up I barely got 16.4 mpg, driving 70-75. On the way back, 20-17.8 mpg. I can't say for certain as there was a bad accident on I-4 and I idled my way through 10 miles of interstate for 45 minutes! I also stopped to see my daughter in Jax and fooled around a bit with a couple of other full size chevys intrigued with the Corsa...
Items done:
1. 87 octane tune
2. torque management adjusted (tricky as I opted to retain the Active Fuel Management). Still a smooth transition!
3. Speed limiter moved to 120.
4. Trans shifting adjusted to taste, part throttle and WOT.
5. 'Sport mode' enabled in Tow/Haul setting.
6. Alcohol % lowered back to 10%.
7. Sensitivity of O2 sensors adjusted down (Justin said they were a little too sensitive for the iron block 5.3).
8. Part throttle maps observed and adjusted.

I will always advocate for an in person tune if you can swing it. Its possible Justin could have spotted/interpreted my needs from a data dump and conversation. But to me the ability to discuss and tune on the fly is priceless.

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree. justin is pretty great. i had my truck tuned last year in mcdonough, but rode with narco944 friday night and rode with dad on saturday morning and it's amazing what can be done.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will never, never, never, never forgive myself for missing out on the Houston tune.

As a matter of fact, I just slapped myself for the umptenth time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts