Battery issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that is it, give it a try for a week or so and let us know what your come up with! Good luck!

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
First morning with the tuner unplugged...started right up no problem. I had the dealership install a new alternator anyway. Hey, they offered, what was I supposed to say, no? Besides, I noticed the old one was cranking my voltage up to 15.20 while driving which I feel is a bit too high. I'll keep the tuner out for a few more days and report back

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....and we're dead again this morning...
I thought these trucks supposed to have something that prevents the battery from draining to low. It's on my window sticker.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Thinking it's my diablo trinity tuner draining the battery overnight. When I researched it there seems to be a lot of issues with the trinity doing this. Truck didn't give me any starting issues before installing the trinity but I only had it like 4 days before I installed it so I cant say for sure.

I called Diablo today and spoke to a tech rep and he told me to change to sleep mode from 30 seconds to 60. Mine was somehow set to 5 seconds. The way he explained it was the trinity contacts the vehicles computer every, in my case, 5 seconds for information and was "keeping it awake". Said if the trucks computer took say 40 seconds to power down and the tuner was contacting it every 5 it was keeping the computer awake and not letting it fully power down which in turn was keeping a drain in the battery.

Still don't understand why the part that supposed to prevent battery from draining to low didn't stop the drain.

The battery protection doesn't work for instances like that, it's more for high drain loads like the stereo system, headlights, interior lights, 12v cigarette plugs, etc. In your case the tuner was keeping the PCM awake constantly it sounds like.

I had a similar experience, not with a tuner but a monitor. I have one of the Aeroforce gauges and if I forgot to unplug it from the ODBII port it would keep the computer awake until the battery went dead. I got an unpleasant reminder a few times when I was in a hurry and left it plugged in for 8-10 hours.

I also had a separate experience very much like yours with no extras plugged into the electrical system. The battery would die very fast, sometimes after only an hour. I've only seen this one time in my 25 years of driving/repairing vehicles, but I had a short in the starter. I replaced the starter and the problem never re-appeared. It was hard to troubleshoot as the starter wouldn't get hot to the touch, the only indication was a slow crank on occasion that I was attributing to a failing battery. When it started occasionally cranking slow on a new battery, and almost failing to turn the engine over after sitting for an hour or so I took a chance and replaced the starter.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Wake, My diablo trinity has the monitor screen that plugs into the ODBII port also and from the research I did supposedly that monitor was keeping the PCM awake. The guys on the Diablo forums also said to unplug it every night to avoid the battery drain but like you said, when you're in a hurry and forget...you're screwed. Plus I'm sorry but for $600.00 you shouldn't have to worry about the unit draining your battery.....

And I agree, those starter shorts can be a ***** to diagnose. It's one of those, "screw it, lets try replacing this and see if works" kind of situations.

oh1yukonslt

Wikitsikone
Reaction score
What is the procedure for doing the parasitic test? I know on our 08 that stuff stays active for x amount of time after last door is closed. Also is there a way to trick the alternator or computer to charge more? The ECM or PCM has some kind of program that controls the charging circuit based on different variables.

There is a guy on Youtube name Eric the car guy. Type in Parasitic draw test and look for Eric the car guy. He does a good explanation of it

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Well the tuner was definitely the issue because I have yet to reinstall the monitor and even after not starting it through that last big snow storm, she starts right up with no problem now. Now that I know what the problem was I can play with the settings to see if I can get it to where I can leave it plugged in and it wont keep the PCM on all night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodinchris