Bad fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 Flex. 330,000 miles.

I think my fuel pump died last night. Hoping it could be something else. I slowed down to a stop sign, it stalled and would not restart. Fuel pump is not coming on to prime (I can usually hear it, but it's silent. I swapped the fuel pump relay, still nothing.

The odd thing is this pump only has about 40k on it.. No way it should have just suddenly died like that. Of course I just got a full tank of gas 20 miles before it happened. Is there anything else I can check without dropping the tank?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine key to run. if theres no pressure theres no working pump. check for a blown fuse too.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pumps can just quit. Try hitting the bottom of the fuel tank to jar the pump into pumping again. Then burn the gas up and change the pump.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine key to run. if theres no pressure theres no working pump. check for a blown fuse too.
Where is the fuel pump fuse? I didn't see it on any of the diagrams ..

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good scan tool like the Tech2 will tell you in mere moments what is wrong.
How? I have a scan tool capable of basic obdii , might be able to borrow something. What exactly do I need to read? I know the pump is not running, but I'd like to be able to test the power to it without dropping the tank.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way the anti-theft system could disable the pump? From what I remember it just disables the injectors.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Tech2 can command the pump and off and see how much power is getting to it and such and of course, read those internal codes that basic readers cannot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz