Backup Camera, Where to Mount Monitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since i have an 05 non denali, i had the little pocket where i just relocated the traction button...

but, whats the little pocket looking thing with a cover over it directly below the onstar buttons in that pic? is that an ashtray or cup holder or something? how about using that cut out and mounting the monitor there? looks like it might be close to the right size?

OP
OP
A

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Some interesting ideas I hadn't thought about. I don't want to replace my mirror or my sun visors. I've looked at the sun visor monitors in person before, and was never really a fan. They just scream ricer to me.

A monitor like that rear view monitor could also be used somewhere else in my Denali. When I install my stereo, I'll end up taking out the factoring CD changer anyways, and I could fill that pocket with a bracket to mount up that display or something similar. A monitor would look pretty good down there, it would be out of the way but offer functionality. I'm sure there's some other monitors in a similar size that I could fit into the stock CD changer slot and it would look nice. I don't know if they make a "cinemascope" backup camera though that would do that wide of an angle though.

My next question: Since a backup camera is mounted on the back, and not as a mirror, it would display the left side of the screen being the right side of the car, and the right side being the left side of the car correct? Do the cameras have a way to flip that, or do you need a monitor capable of mirroring the image?

@ Chip. Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to figure this one out with the stock dash. You can do a DD Nav with a backup camera, I've seen them in person. They're a sleek way to do a backup camera and the functionality is nice. I want to be able to have my backup camera on at any time though, not just while backing up. I'll end up doing a switch so that it can turn on with reverse, and also when I flip a switch. When towing down the road I'd like to be able to watch the trailer behind me.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since i have an 05 non denali, i had the little pocket where i just relocated the traction button...

but, whats the little pocket looking thing with a cover over it directly below the onstar buttons in that pic? is that an ashtray or cup holder or something? how about using that cut out and mounting the monitor there? looks like it might be close to the right size?

If it's the grey covered object to the right of the DIC that you are referring to, it is a cig lighter and I'm thinking it's too small for a monitor but not a bad idea for a custom spot either!!

OP
OP
A

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That pocket is the 12V outlet (not cigarette lighter in my car, if anybody tried to light up in my car they'd get to walk home). I'd like to keep that one there, passengers frequently use it to charge their phones. I'm really thinking about putting one in the CD changer pocket. I'll have to take some measurements and see what options I have.

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another option, if you run out of them, delete the center heater vent and fab a monitor in there.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Some interesting ideas I hadn't thought about. I don't want to replace my mirror or my sun visors. I've looked at the sun visor monitors in person before, and was never really a fan. They just scream ricer to me.

A monitor like that rear view monitor could also be used somewhere else in my Denali. When I install my stereo, I'll end up taking out the factoring CD changer anyways, and I could fill that pocket with a bracket to mount up that display or something similar. A monitor would look pretty good down there, it would be out of the way but offer functionality. I'm sure there's some other monitors in a similar size that I could fit into the stock CD changer slot and it would look nice. I don't know if they make a "cinemascope" backup camera though that would do that wide of an angle though.

My next question: Since a backup camera is mounted on the back, and not as a mirror, it would display the left side of the screen being the right side of the car, and the right side being the left side of the car correct? Do the cameras have a way to flip that, or do you need a monitor capable of mirroring the image?

@ Chip. Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to figure this one out with the stock dash. You can do a DD Nav with a backup camera, I've seen them in person. They're a sleek way to do a backup camera and the functionality is nice. I want to be able to have my backup camera on at any time though, not just while backing up. I'll end up doing a switch so that it can turn on with reverse, and also when I flip a switch. When towing down the road I'd like to be able to watch the trailer behind me.

You know, I'm thinking that you should be able to do all of that with a decent DD - HU and eBay cam. I also think that would be both the cheapest option, and the easiest to install (you can add multiple monitors later too). If you decide to do that, let me know. I'll help you research, install, and whatever else I can do to help, since I plan on doing it anyway.

Let us know what you decide.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably do a rearview mirror monitor install on a car in a couple months and I'll be sure to share my experience with you guys.

As for the question about mirroring the image, the monitor will display left and right same as it would if you turned your head to look out the back of the truck. To give you an idea, here is a pic of my setup:
IMG_20111017_093005.jpg

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably do a rearview mirror monitor install on a car in a couple months and I'll be sure to share my experience with you guys.

As for the question about mirroring the image, the monitor will display left and right same as it would if you were looking out the back of the truck. To give you an idea, here is a pic of my setup:
IMG_20111017_093005.jpg

I like this ^^^!

You should do a DIY with Comparrison thread when you do the install. I would love to read that.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip, it's all about time brother. If I have it, I'll def be able to get to this sooner rather than later.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip, it's all about time brother. If I have it, I'll def be able to get to this sooner rather than later.

I understand completely!

Did you have a Birthday in the past 24 hours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n