Backup Camera, Where to Mount Monitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002-GMC-Yukon-Denali-XL-dash.jpg

I have a 2001 Denali with that style dash. I'd like to do a backup camera for backing up at night, hooking up the quad/boat/travel trailers alone, etc...

The 2003 and up have that little pocket where my OnStar is located that works perfect for many of you guys on the forum, but unfortunately, I don't have that.

Has anybody found a good place to mount the monitor?

Here's my idea:
Most everybody has seen how a power flip out DVD works. They slide out of the pocket, and then a motor turns "flips" them up. They consist of a sliding channel to slide out, and then a pivot that goes up 90º, and then slide back in, so that they sit semi flush, while neatly tucking away when not in use.

I wonder if a manually actuated flip out could be done in my OnStar pocket? A simple tab mounted on the top of the monitor could be used to pull it out of the pocket, flip it by hand, and then slide it back in. The biggest struggle would be finding a channel and pivot that could be built to be low profile and work. Chances are, it'd have to be custom fabbed. I think it could be a pretty cool way to do the backup camera install if I can figure it out.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make that happen? If there were some pre made stuff that could be adapted to make that work, that would be awesome.

That's plan B lol, I'd much rather find a good place to mount one that looks clean. Unfortunately, I'm just not seeing a good place for one.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be willing to trade you bezels (if it helps you).

Here's mine:

Bezel-White4.jpg

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mount monitor on dash buy A-fram, or check out www.pro-fit-intl.com. they have a mount that goes behind your dash bezel. good luck

Do you have experience with this (backup cam) install? Since we're already on the topic, I'd like to know if any of you guys (who have already done it) have a preferred method. Personally, I was thinking (hoping) that I can get an eBay camera that will wire directly into the next Double Din unit I buy.

Anybody done that yet?

P.S. Great site Steven! Thanks for that.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That rear view mirror idea is Awesome!.......but I bet it would be ***** to install (compared to...)!

I recently put two of those same visor monitors in my sisters Camry SE. They work well for what they are. Maybe do 2 of those in the front, then wire the backup cam to them? Only problem is that you still need a unit to push any video to it.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rear view mirror idea is Awesome!.......but I bet it would be ***** to install (compared to...)!

I recently put two of those same visor monitors in my sisters Camry SE. They work well for what they are. Maybe do 2 of those in the front, then wire the backup cam to them? Only problem is that you still need a unit to push any video to it.

If the op chooses to go that route I'm sure we could think of something to make it work.:waytogo: Wait, why can't you just connect it to the back up camera?

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mount monitor on dash buy A-fram, or check out www.pro-fit-intl.com. they have a mount that goes behind your dash bezel. good luck

Great idea on the mounting location for the monitor, I am the guy that Alex mentioned with the same bezel as abladeafficionado, too bad that the other bezel is kinda spendy for my taste otherwise I would have already bought one right now!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401