Back up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sublime69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 08 tahoe LTZ without a back up camera. My wife really wants to have a back up camera. I looked into installing an after market radio but in order to get one with all the features to run the rear dvd and steering wheel controls, it will cost like $600+. I have seen the rear view mirror cameras that are cheap and seem to work well, but that will cover up the compass and temp screen on the mirror. Is there any other reasonably priced options out there? I definitely dont want a bulky stand alone screen on the dash either.

Thanks!

swat2380

Reaction score
I have an 08 tahoe LTZ without a back up camera. My wife really wants to have a back up camera. I looked into installing an after market radio but in order to get one with all the features to run the rear dvd and steering wheel controls, it will cost like $600+. I have seen the rear view mirror cameras that are cheap and seem to work well, but that will cover up the compass and temp screen on the mirror. Is there any other reasonably priced options out there? I definitely dont want a bulky stand alone screen on the dash either.

Thanks!
Does your factory deck have a cam input?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Instead of an aftermarket head unit to retrofit to the existing factory options, you cold get an OEM nav unit and it'd be plug-and-play after you have it unlocked and programmed for your vehicle. I had the standard non-touchscreen head unit in my '08 LTZ. I found an OEM nav unit on Craigslist for $150 and sent it to a guy in California (Greg at CPS A/V) to be unlocked and programmed to my VIN and features. He charges $100 and shipping was about $15. The H/U I got was from a 2010 which had the USB input. I got the OEM USB dash port off Amazon (or ebay?) and swapped it for the passenger side power port. It's a nice little extra upgrade to have- can play music from my phone or read/control an iPod or flash drive plugged into it.

All I need now is to mount a camera and run the wires to the back of the HU, then go into the HU's settings and turn on the camera when in reverse.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it can't since there is no screen.

There are some trucks with no screen and they have the rear camera in the rear view mirror but doubt you want to go through the work just for that little screen and camera probably hooks up elsewhere besides the head unit. Your best bet is either get stock navi for cheap if you only want the camera or go aftermarket and expand your options way further. Both options will give you the camera you are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e