AWD, what exactly does this mean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cerberus66

Reaction score
Can somebody direct me to a website of explain to me what exactly is AWD in a 2003 Denali?

what torque bias is used?
Is 3:73 gears common?
Do I have LSD in the rear axle? Was it even an option?
What transfer case is used?

Thanks for your help!

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the AWD it stands for All Wheel Drive meaning All wheels are powered all the time There is no 2wd option a Full time 4wd if you wish to call it that I believe the Tourq split is something like 40/60 or 30/70 (not 100% on this)

3.73 3.42 were common gears but I believe the option of 3.08 and 4.10 or 11 was optional in Non denali Trucks To my knowledge
as for the LSD You can check that in your RPO codes lists located in your glove box or Using your VIN

No idea what transfer case was used I would imagine the same as a NP246 as it has the "auto 4wd" option which essentially is the same but I don't know if that is even close to being right

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
There a few forms of awd. One form is the system will stay in a 2wd mode and when slippage is detected, it will kick in and lock the other axle. Once slipping is no longer detected, it will disengage untill needed again. The other form is all wheels are engaged
4wd is selectable by the driver and has a low range gearing.

4wd better for off road and work like pulling stumps out of the ground.
awd better piece of mind for bad weather driving

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^awd is 4wd all the time not part time and you can't choose between 4hi and 4lo. auto 4wd is 2wd until there is some slippage then 4wd will engage automatically. while on the subject anybody ever convert their truck to awd?

Yukon04

Reaction score
Its a borg and warner T case I recently converted mine to 2/4 wheel drive and seems I dont have a Lsd in the rear hence the one tire burn outs...

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no 4wd/awd it's either one or the other

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is - I have it. The 2005 XL w/Stabilitrac (AWD?) AND 4-wheel LOW.
Drove it in 11" of new snow and ice like a madman this week. Climbed some real steep gravel roads...never touched any button...Dealer said: just point it where you want it to go in any condition...the computer will figure it out! LOL Tried to drift/spin it out in the parking lot - it wouldn't! Took the ice/snow covered WV mountain roads like it was glued! Didn't want the AWD (Denali) due to mpg. I got 21.5mpg highway to NJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo