Autoride Question Here - Not the standard questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

footb82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello New Member here:

I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 6.2L 4WD 94,000 miles.

The autoride appears to be functioning as intended EXCEPT for one thing.

The shocks appear always inflated to the max. I have over 7" of clearance between the top of the tire and the fender, on the rear axle. I have the factory Chevy 22" 5409 rims.

NO service lights are currently illuminated or have ever been since I have owned the truck.

When I disconnect the air line on either shock, air rushes out and the truck drops over 3" back to "normal" ride height. Once I start the truck, the compressor kicks on and lifts the truck way back up.

This is a "new" truck to me, I recently bought it used.

It was at Kuni Chevrolet for its 1st oil change (I as the owner) and the service department did not mention anything. At that time, I thought the ride height was normal so I did not ask them about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems pretty high. Your threaded links to the ride height sensors seem like they are out of adjustment. Might want to start there by loosening the jam nuts on the small threaded rods and adjusting them some so that it stops inflating sooner

OP
OP
F

footb82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That seems pretty high. Your threaded links to the ride height sensors seem like they are out of adjustment. Might want to start there by loosening the jam nuts on the small threaded rods and adjusting them some so that it stops inflating sooner

Are the ride height sensors in either of these photos because I do not see any jam nuts?

Desktop_zps027580cb.jpg

IMG_20150212_2054438521_zps241c0b55.jpg

Last edited:

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Negative. They are small rods attached to top of your upper control arm. One threaded end attached to bracket welded in middle of upper control arm and other threaded end attaches to rotational height sensor attached to frame. These can be seen just in front of each rear tire from next to back of vehicle. No need to get underneath to see

Attachments

• Adjuster.jpg
    Adjuster.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
F

footb82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out the techy stuff

I did locate them. I am still confused on how to adjust them. They do not appear have ever been adjusted prior (they do not appear cleaner than the rest of the car, no tool marks, etc).

Should I just buy two new ones and replace (part number ?)? Are these known to fail? Anyone else having this issue?

I have searched at the internet for over 10+ hours and have not found ONE other person with this same issue.

Thank you.

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered that the previous owner just may not have noticed that the back rode so high and it was out of adjustment and riding so high from the original delivery from the factory? Search the forums for ride height and you'll find quite a variance from truck to truck bone stock. I would try adjusting them. Let the air out of the shocks like you have been. Loosen the jam nuts on each end of the rod that senses ride height. Spin it slightly to make it longer. Try and make sure you keep both sides even(count number of totatl turns on each). Then plug air lines back in and start truck and watch it air up but not as high. Repeat as needed until you're satisfied with ride height. My truck only airs up maybe 1/4"-1/2" when its first started, but keep in mind that is not letting all the air out of the shocks to begin with

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the rods off with a plier. Don't be nervous they come off without breaking.
Screw in the ball caps to make the link shorter. Try to achieve a quater inch shorter.
Make sure both are the same length.

Air ride is not side specific its a balance so making one more or less than the other effects the whole truck not just the relative side.
When you remove it the arm holding the top should drop under its own pressure. If it dosent lube it up.

Place both links back on. Let the air out and replace. Then air it up and measure. If it drops then there you go. If not there is a issue with the sensor the link is attached to.

You will notice some trucks ride higher than others from the dealer and it's just how it goes. Imo all Ltz truck are higher than regular tahoes and all denalis are lower than regular yukons.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924