Automatic braking - anyone have it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting the adaptive cruise control, not for the car following feature so much as the collision mitigation automatic braking. With the wife in a the car a lot it would give her extra peace of mind when we get into the stop and go traffic on the highway.

Does anyone have this option and know when it works? I cant seem to find info on when it kicks in. I see info on slowing/stopping when the special cruise mode is on, but if the cruise isnt on, will you only get the vibrate to notify of a crash, or will it automatically brake when it senses you are too close?

I'm having a hard time finding a LTZ Tahoe, SLT Yukon or Denali with the adaptive cruise that isn't optioned up to the hilt with stuff I dont want/need (rear entertainment, power running boards, openroad pkg, 22" wheels, etc).

So if this isn't on all the time, always watching, ready to brake when needed, I might just skip it.

what do you guys know about that feature?

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works great i have on my car and is a little bit tricky, but you will learn as you use.
already have 33,000 miles and 22,000 on (acc) love that option.

:favorites37:

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would never order ACC again.

IMO, I find it to be very difficult to deal with. On the highway, It senses a car in your lane a few hundred feet in front of you, and you start slowing down. Almost lulling you. Before you know it, you are going 5-10 mph slower. The second you pull out, it basically floors the gas. If someone pulls out into your lane, it slams on the brakes.
It's going to be ******* fuel and harder of brake life.
No chance I'll order it again, and I would love to disable it,

Last edited:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would never order ACC again.
I find it to be very difficult to deal with. On the highway, It senses a car in your lane a few hundred feet in front of you, and you start slowing down! And suddenly, you are going 5-10 mph slower. The second you pull out, it basically floors the gas. If someone pulls out into your lane, it slams on the brakes.

No chance I'll order it again, and I will disable the current version.
I know is very tricky but I'm totally fine with the (acc) option, I love and I think it is one of the comfortable option ever, of course if you drive a lot.
But for short route I do not recommend.
;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a LTZ Tahoe, SLT Yukon or Denali with the adaptive cruise that isn't optioned up to the hilt with stuff I dont want/need (rear entertainment, power running boards, openroad pkg, 22" wheels, etc).

To me, it's like having power windows or NAV. Once you have it, you cannot imagine what you did before you had it. I love it.

I had zero luck finding a car in inventory with it ordered so likely you'll need to do a special order or get an Escalade, where it is standard on certain trims.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind technology. I love a good stereo system, appreciate lighted alerts and air bags. Even emergency braking is a good idea.
I do not like it when any aspect of normal control is taken away. Especially when the technology in this area is still very archaic and really doesn't work well in traffic.

IMO, It's just not applied with any smoothness, and it's not perfected in any way. There is no distance adjustability. That is the biggest problem with the system. There is just a gap adjustment which doesn't solve the problem of upcoming vehicles 200 feet away that slow you down way before you need to, or the unnecessary heavy acceleration when you pull out in to the passing lane.

There is a place for ACC, but not when traffic is heavy, and definitely not in my vehicle.
As I said, look for wasted MPG and accelerated brake pad wear.

JMHO.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with George if you are going to be in heavy traffic (acc) is not for you but if you going to long distance and not that much stop and go (acc) will make your life comfortable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed Julian.
An instant improvement would be an on/off, adaptive/regular CC switch.
God, it can be a pain unless you are on open and clear highway.

thebishman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ACC in my traded 2014 Grand Cherokee was better implemented than the one in the '16 Denali, but as others have mentioned, I will never buy another vehicle of this type without ACC. It is that useful in day-to-day driving, especially long distance. I just hope that GM will refine the software as it does need to be 'smoother'; the 'Far' distance needs to be extended, and it needs to stay active down to 0 mph for a few seconds like the Jeep did without cancelling at 10 mph IMHO.

Bish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack