At the point of getting rid of our 2016 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abright52

2011 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
However, I'm not sure what trim level to look at to ensure it does not have the magnetic ride. We were going to look at a 2016 LTZ yesterday, but the dealer said it had it. I would like to know how to determine it for myself. The dealer may tell me it does thinking it is a good thing.

Magnetic Ride Control is RPO code "Z95". If that code is present on the RPO sticker in the glove box, then the vehicle is equipped with Mag Ride.

Most salesmen will send you a pic of the codes if you ask via email.

Agent WD-40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn’t help you in your current situation but I’ve noticed the ride has gotten softer each year. I’ve had the chance to spend some time in some 2018s (short and long wheelbase with magnetic ride) and the ride is definitely smoother than I recall the 15s and 16s I’ve driven in. Don’t have any experience with a 2017 so cannot comment on that year but I’ve been impressed with the ride of the 2018.

I should add I’ve driven 2018s with the 20”and 22” and didn’t notice a huge difference. I’m sure the 20s ride better just wasn’t back to back with 22” for me to compare and comment.

OP
OP
F

fordfest

Reaction score
I'm taking it to another dealer. When I told the service manager we had a rough ride, he immediately said they have had several with a stuck strut. Just this simple comment shows the difference between this dealership and my normal servicing dealership.
Look forward to seeing what that find later this week.

While I'm there, I will have them address the driverside auto running board that keeps sticking in the down position and the rear glass spoiler that keeps getting caught on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall a post where someone had two of them locked-up: one on the front and one on the opposite side in the rear. It made for some squirrelly handling!. Supposedly, they were damaged when the shop raised the car on the lift and it maxed out the shocks, damaging them.

Addicted

Reaction score
I'm taking it to another dealer. When I told the service manager we had a rough ride, he immediately said they have had several with a stuck strut. Just this simple comment shows the difference between this dealership and my normal servicing dealership.
Look forward to seeing what that find later this week.

While I'm there, I will have them address the driverside auto running board that keeps sticking in the down position and the rear glass spoiler that keeps getting caught on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear. Good luck.

dmad1

Reaction score
My '17 Tahoe LT does not have the MRC and supposedly has the "Soft Suspension Ride" pkg. and the ride is worse than the 2500 Duramax I had. Would trade back for our '12 Tahoe in a second.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the ride does suck! First I had a 2000 Escalade on factory 16's, then a 2007 Denali with factory 20's, then 2010 Platinum Escalade and now a 2017 Luxury which I purchased new and let me tell you that that the 2000 had a smoother ride! Dont get me wrong, it was a POS compared to the newer trucks but MUCH SMOOTHER! The 2000 had nearly 200k on it while my 2017 doesn't have 10k miles on it so how the eff can the old POS ride better? I believe the large rims have a lot to do with it!

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add fuel to the fire. I was going down the interstate the other day and a Tahoe LTZ merged in. Looked like a 2015.5. I couldn't believe how much it was "pogo-sticking" down the road! I mean literally, the front was bouncing up and down several inches over every little bump. And not just a "wallow" over the bump--this was a violent pitch. Like boing-boing-boing. I watched it for several miles because I literally couldn't believe it. Something had to be wrong with that one. I was dumb-founded the owner/driver didn't think something was not right! Meanwhile, I was just cruising along in my LT (with tow package) and front Bilsteins 5100s. I was having a much better ride than they were. I'm actually happy with my LT ride.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess y'all know I am an old codger by now. And since I hit 71 in August, my ways are older, slower, and easier than when I was 35. But I have always liked my tires to be a size or two wider than what came on the vehicle, if they would fit with adequate clearance and if they had the same height sidewall. Our current rides, the 2008 Tahoe Hybrid 2X2 and 2015 Silverado 4X4 Doublecab have the same size tires. Both ride well on 265/65 R18 rolling stock. The sidewall are generous and the ride in both is silky smooth on good roads. Both do well on bad roads, too, although the Silverado will dance on dirt and gravel rub board roads. The Silverado came with 20" rims but the dealership had changed them out to another vehicle before I bought it new. I was so happy about that as I would have had to switch them out because I don't want weak rims on my 4X4 vehicles because they tend to ride rough anyway. For me, the taller the sidewall, the better the ride, so I'd try 20" rims with 45 or 55 aspect sidewalls before I'd get rid of such a nice ride.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess y'all know I am an old codger by now. And since I hit 71 in August, my ways are older, slower, and easier than when I was 35. But I have always liked my tires to be a size or two wider than what came on the vehicle, if they would fit with adequate clearance and if they had the same height sidewall. Our current rides, the 2008 Tahoe Hybrid 2X2 and 2015 Silverado 4X4 Doublecab have the same size tires. Both ride well on 265/65 R18 rolling stock. The sidewall are generous and the ride in both is silky smooth on good roads. Both do well on bad roads, too, although the Silverado will dance on dirt and gravel rub board roads. The Silverado came with 20" rims but the dealership had changed them out to another vehicle before I bought it new. I was so happy about that as I would have had to switch them out because I don't want weak rims on my 4X4 vehicles because they tend to ride rough anyway. For me, the taller the sidewall, the better the ride, so I'd try 20" rims with 45 or 55 aspect sidewalls before I'd get rid of such a nice ride.

These youngsters never got to experience that the best part of the ride is in the sidewall. They didn't get to ride in cars with 75 series tires that would keep their 7-Eleven Big Gulp from spilling while driving through the streets of New York City or Detroit! The ride was so smooth, even our on board record players didn't skip! LOL

Auto Record Player.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar