At home alternator rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting really involved with rebuilding things on my truck haha. I suspect my alternator has seen better days. I'm at 237,000 miles. It seems to stay slightly above 13V. However, when it heats up it gets pretty low and concerns me that I might be stranded somewhere.

I've watched countless hours of alternator rebuild videos on youtube. I'm certain I can rebuild mine with no trouble, I just cannot figure out where to buy the rebuild kit? I'd prefer to save the dough as eventually I'll buy a high output alternator just more important to save money right now.

Any idea where they sell the rebuild kits? Voltage regulators? etc for our trucks?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I had seen that guy's website, found it a bit confusing.

I researched part numbers from youtube (stupid me threw away notes when I cleaned my desk). I couldn't find even where to buy parts numbers I had researched.

I think rebuilding them used to be quite common.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting site kits are a little lack luster and it would be nice to know the brands of those parts. those parts can be sourced fairly easily separately. haven't watched thier how to video but windings should also be checked too. the bearings will have a stamp or engraved number right on the bearing. the brushes should also have a stamp or engraving on them somewhere. the voltage regulator is a simple google search. the windings are a total separate monster and wouldn't suggest trying it outside of testing it.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve, I've used Rebuilderinabox several times. They're very helpful, and it's actually not that confusing after you ask a few questions.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I have been tinkering with a denso 220 amp alt from a salvage yard. The brush holder and voltage regulator are simple to R&R but that's it. The diode/rectifier assy would be a ***** with the windings extending through the assy and being copper sintered to connect. Im pretty sure you have the DR44 and like you i have watched the vid's. you could simply throw a brush assy and voltage regulator at it and see what happens. Unfortunately over time and extreme heat it is the diodes that begin to degrade and fail resulting in reduced output and "noise" in your electrical components as the rectifier starts passing ac current into the output dc voltage. The parts are on ebay but beware of "CHINA CRAP" as it is everywhere. Buy only the OEM denso/delco remy components which are more costly but you have a better chance of a successful rebuild. I am still running a napa reman DR44 going on 2 years with no issues yet. $165

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lot of the factory parts on our trucks are denzo :) partly why i would love to rebuild it. they dont sell rectifiers?

I did see some of the kits on ebay but had similar concerns.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've taken my car's alt to a local rebuilder of electrical stuff - alt, starters, etc...and it was easy the easy route to go for me.

I'm cheap...but having a rebuilder do it for $60-75 around me is worth it.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had an alternator rebuilt at a local supposedly reputable shop. They only replaced the worn out parts, not the 1/2 worn out parts, so the alternator broke down a year later. And it wasn't cheap either, it was over a hundred bucks Cdn.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With a kit, you get what you get, kind of like buying a computer vs. building one. When buying pre-built you have limited control over what components were used. When assembling with your chosen parts, you get exactly that and you know what you're putting into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700