Anybody put Duratracs on their Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dillicious

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had them on my previous 3 trucks. The dealer is swapping the tires for me at no charge. I was thinking about the Ridge Grapplers but they were going to take a while to order in. Duratracs are on hand. It’ll be the stock 265/70/20 for my Denali. Anybody have a picture of this setup? Or any A/T tire stock size on their Denali?

Thanks!

WVBKW

Reaction score
0D69AEEF-4871-4447-A4DA-7E8FF6479714.jpeg

275/60R20 is the stock size if you have 20” wheels. These are AT4 Sierra take off wheels with BFG ATKO 2’s.

Our Denali came with 22” wheels and tires. This is our winter setup.

WVBKW

Reaction score
I feel like the ATKO 2 is a much quieter tire than the dura trac. I have had both. The duratrac is loud, especially after 5000 miles.

I was surprised at how much road noise we had after installing them. I would not run them year round…. Unless I needed them.

I will say the combo of the tires and the Denali with the fancy 4 wheel drive system and air ride proved to be an absolute monster in the snow this past winter.

OP
OP
D

Dillicious

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great pics thank you! I do wish mine came with the 22’s. It seems like the only Denali I’ve seen with 20’s. But I was lucky enough to find it built but not bought yet. I had to jump on it.
We get some pretty wild winters up here. Every OEM tire I’ve had on any truck was brutal in anything beyond dry pavement. Plus I like the look of the Duratracs.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We ran duratracs on our '11 suburban (2 sets) and they're great in every way except they do indeed get very loud in a short amount of time. Thought about a set for the '21 but after doing a lot of research it seems Ridge Grapplers stay quiet a lot longer so that's what I went with. Have around 5k miles on them so far and love them, super smooth and quiet. If they indeed stay quiet I will not go back to duratracs

MrBlack247

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had them on one of my Tahoe's for about a month. So loud I felt like I was getting a migraine.

Apach 031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had many sets of duratracs over the years (probably 7 or 8). Both in P-metric and LT versions. Here's my observations:

I believe the duratrac was originally intended as a fleet, long-life, severe use tire. They perform well for people in industries like the oil field, logging, etc. Alot of off-road, and bad weather.

They are a very noisy tire. Might seem ok at first, but they'll change quick. And plan on rotating them EVERY oil change, if not more frequent. If not, they tend to cup severely. Like, so bad, you'll think you're driving over washboards.

Where they shine is in their life span. Not unusual at all to get 70000 miles out of em. I think most often they get changed out because they've become noisy and wobbly, not because they're worn out.

As far as traction, if you're in mud, soft earth, or loose, wet snow, they perform well. If you're on alot of ice, or hard packed snow, the compound is just too hard, and they're like curling rocks.

I still run them on my 1 tonne work truck, and love them for that. I would never put them on a vehicle where I cared about the quiet, or ride quality (or hearing my radio), like a Yukon Denali. Might be ok for the first 15k.

I would consider some less aggressive alternatives for that. I like the Toyo AT3, and am currently running the Goodyear Trailrunner on my Denali. I know I'm trading off some of the aggressive look, and some miles. Also, not as high a load range, if you're pulling a trailer. But the other aspects more than make up for it. If you want a similar tire, that's just as aggressive, the BFG KO2 seems to check off most of the same boxes, but not quite as long a tread life. Supposed to be better for noise and even wear though.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYone