(Answered)Can I drive without a front driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to trouble shoot an issue right now and I was wondering if on my 07 Yukon. Is there any issues removing my front driveshaft and driving with it. Plan to reinstall and will index it. Anything I should know or do prior to it? What are your thoughts?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. You might see a speed sensor code come up -- not sure -- but you can ignore that for the test.

Yeah I think he will be ok, he can be our guinea pig anyway lol. I was always wondering in the back of my mind if you could pull the front shaft, diff and CV's and still run actually. Wheel sensors are at the hubs but an unplugged diff connector would cause codes I would imagine.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to trouble shoot an issue right now and I was wondering if on my 07 Yukon. Is there any issues removing my front driveshaft and driving with it. Plan to reinstall and will index it. Anything I should know or do prior to it? What are your thoughts?
Yeah make sure you mark it good to put back in the same clocked position.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. I am going to do it in the morning now. It started snowing. Not going to be out for long. I will need 4WD in the near future.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think he will be ok, he can be our guinea pig anyway lol. I was always wondering in the back of my mind if you could pull the front shaft, diff and CV's and still run actually. Wheel sensors are at the hubs but an unplugged diff connector would cause codes I would imagine.
Can confirm you can run without cv axles. My buddy (who’s an idiot) drove until his hub fell off.. sheered the axle nut right off. We replaced the front with 2wd hubs and no axles because he had no intentions on replacing that broken axle. Speed sensors plugged in and worked