Another dead battery thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaMaine1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the battery goes dead and you replace/recharge it, you will often get various check systems messages. I got a "service rear parking assist" when I recharged my battery. I do not believe you have a problem with the individual systems. However something is obviously draining your battery. Do you have an y aftermarket items installed? Radar Detector, stereo upgrades, alarm systems?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much leave everything on at all times. Since pretty much everything is controlled by the BCM, there is no need to worry about anything being left on to drain the battery. I did in the past have a '07 Avalanche that had a parasitic power draw that was caused by the radio waking up while the vehicle was off, but that was a well known issue with that particular truck. I've never had any problems with my Yukon regarding the battery until now.

I never shut anything off..The A/C [and most time the radio] in my Hoe has been on since I bought it in October..I have left everything on in every vehicle I owned since the 70's..I generally get 5 years [sometimes more] out of a battery which is normal in constant Miami jungle heat with tons of gridlock.

If you do shut the A/C off down here and turn it back on again most of the time [due to the very high humidity] your windows will fog up really bad when your turn your a/c back on..With the a/c left on all the time there is little to zero fogging upon startup.

Tarheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am experiencing the same gamut of symptoms. Did you sort out the eventual fix?

My wife drives our 2015 Yukon XL SLE 4x4. It has push button ignition, and 60,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago, she called and said it would not start. Roadside met her and jumped it and worked just fine. We had the mechanic and Autozone both test the battery and alternator and nothing was found. A week later, yesterday, it wouldn’t start again. When I tried to start it, it made a loud clicking noise throughout the vehicle (not the starter clicking) and the lights blinked off and on. There were several messages that came up but the “service theft Deterrent” was noticed the most. I jumped it and turned it off and on and couple of times and just fine.

This am, I tried to start it again same problem. I put it on the charger and it was down to 10% battery. I charged for a couple of hours and it was at 67% .I then unplugged the charger, jiggled the battery cables, checked the battery connections and then plugged the charger back in. The charger was now showing 100% charge, (which was strange because before I unplugged it, it was at 67%???) so, of course it started up again. I ran it for a 20 mins or so then turned it off and on again a few times and check the battery charger and it showed 95%.

Onstar can’t find anything. Ive tried both of our key fobs no noticeable difference.

The messages it flashed up:

Side detection system unavailable

Steering lock column

Theft deterant system

Battery low start vehicle

Battery saver

Remote left in vehicle

Service battery charging system

Side detection system unavailable

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack???

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the fact that op 'jiggled' the battery cables and it went back to 100% tells you right there.... disconnect, clean, reinstall.... do the same on all your grounds under the hood, and frame to body, etc....ive seen a battery test fine with 1 bad cell inside and start 1 min... nothing the next..... ive had batteries last 8 yrs.... others 8 months...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE