Another dead battery thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 23,940 miles and 1 year & 7 months of ownership the battery on the Tahoe died this morning and needed to be jumped. I had a good feeling my day would start this way as it was a little rough to start yesterday afternoon when leaving the office.

It's at the dealership now and will hopefully have a new one put in under warranty as this wasn't a case of leaving the lights on or anything like that.

Now I just hope they don't notice the Diablo 87 octane tune I have on there currently!

DaMaine1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's interesting. The battery in my '15 GMC Yukon XL Denali died last week without any warning what so ever. Nothing left on. I trickle charged it overnight and took it in to the dealer to be checked and they could find nothing wrong. The battery passed their test three times. So far it's been a week without any problems but I'm fearful that the OEM Delco battery is going to take a crap on me again.

OP
OP
chicagofan00

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. The battery in my '15 GMC Yukon XL Denali died last week without any warning what so ever. Nothing left on. I trickle charged it overnight and took it in to the dealer to be checked and they could find nothing wrong. The battery passed their test three times. So far it's been a week without any problems but I'm fearful that the OEM Delco battery is going to take a crap on me again.

Interesting. I'm kind of hoping the battery fails their test just so I can get a new one and don't have always have that little worry in the back of my mind as to when it may fail again. I did get a notification from OnStar this morning that the battery was "critically low" and service should be done.

OP
OP
chicagofan00

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery was swapped out free of charge under the warranty. They said it was pretty much deader than dead which seems odd for not even being two years old, but it has now been through two Arizona summers which can be killer on batteries.

DaMaine1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good that you got it replaced under warranty. It seems like the batteries that come from the factory are not as good as the ones that you get from the dealer or aftermarket.

OP
OP
chicagofan00

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good that you got it replaced under warranty. It seems like the batteries that come from the factory are not as good as the ones that you get from the dealer or aftermarket.

Yeah, sure seems that way. We'll see how long this one lasts.

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this this thread but I've got a question that is probably at least semi related to the above topic. When you guys exit your trucks do you turn off the radio, heat, A/C, etc? On those trucks equipped with the "auto sensing" headlights, do you leave those in auto mode? The reason I ask is because I was raised on the old school principle that you should turn all accessories in a car off before turning the engine off. The idea being that this minimizes the draw on the battery on the next engine start up and prolongs battery life. It's pretty much a principle I still practice today. In my previous truck (a Lincoln Navigator) I replaced the battery once during my 10 years of ownership. Of course I have no factual evidence to back up this practice. It's just what my dad & uncles told me I should be doing.....

These dead battery stories have me worried. I was just wondering what others are doing as it relates turning accessories off before you turn off the engine.

OP
OP
chicagofan00

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost always turn off the heat or A/C before exiting the vehicle but I leave the radio on as well as have the "auto" option engaged for the headlights. I've done that through all the various vehicles I've owned over the last several years and the life of a battery seems to just vary. I've had batteries last 3+ years and I've had others where they died out like this one within a year and a half. The Arizona summer temperatures are brutal on batteries and I have yet to hear of batteries lasting more than 3-4 years at most.

Last edited:

DaMaine1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pretty much leave everything on at all times. Since pretty much everything is controlled by the BCM, there is no need to worry about anything being left on to drain the battery. I did in the past have a '07 Avalanche that had a parasitic power draw that was caused by the radio waking up while the vehicle was off, but that was a well known issue with that particular truck. I've never had any problems with my Yukon regarding the battery until now.

Orangeapple405

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife drives our 2015 Yukon XL SLE 4x4. It has push button ignition, and 60,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago, she called and said it would not start. Roadside met her and jumped it and worked just fine. We had the mechanic and Autozone both test the battery and alternator and nothing was found. A week later, yesterday, it wouldn’t start again. When I tried to start it, it made a loud clicking noise throughout the vehicle (not the starter clicking) and the lights blinked off and on. There were several messages that came up but the “service theft Deterrent” was noticed the most. I jumped it and turned it off and on and couple of times and just fine.

This am, I tried to start it again same problem. I put it on the charger and it was down to 10% battery. I charged for a couple of hours and it was at 67% .I then unplugged the charger, jiggled the battery cables, checked the battery connections and then plugged the charger back in. The charger was now showing 100% charge, (which was strange because before I unplugged it, it was at 67%???) so, of course it started up again. I ran it for a 20 mins or so then turned it off and on again a few times and check the battery charger and it showed 95%.

Onstar can’t find anything. Ive tried both of our key fobs no noticeable difference.

The messages it flashed up:

Side detection system unavailable

Steering lock column

Theft deterant system

Battery low start vehicle

Battery saver

Remote left in vehicle

Service battery charging system

Side detection system unavailable

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe