Android Auto is a big flop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been trying to use Android Auto, here's my experience:

Using Google Maps for pre-planned routes does not work. Android Auto system alters the route to the path it "decides" is best, ignoring the pre-planned route and stops along the way. I had set up a route on my smart phone the night before our trip started. I chose a scenic route, over several back roads, mostly two-lane, and had included several stops along the way. As soon as I connected my phone to the Tahoe, and activated Andriod auto, it totally ignored my scenic route, and instead directed me along an interstate highway route, bypassing all the stops I has so carefully programmed the night before.

To add to the frustration, Pandora started playing automatically, randomly, featuring music from artists, channels, and genre NOT on my playlist. I finally had uninstall Pandora, and turn off my smartphone to get the "music" to stop.

Summary: Android Auto is a big flop, at least in its current configuration.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've seen alot of Android head units in the forums lately but not much feedback from after installation. Is yours one that operates on an Android OS or is it a regular HU with Android Auto as a feature?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't used android auto and a PRE-planned trip, but I'm guessing there is probably a setting or check box that was not used (waypoints or something of that nature), also did you start the trip on the phone first before engaging android auto or after? I use waze almost exclusively anymore, but ya Pandora is always running in the background and will take over it's a issue with there app I am sure they will fix it eventually, you can just kill the app in settings or just not use it in the mean time.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've seen alot of Android head units in the forums lately but not much feedback from after installation. Is yours one that operates on an Android OS or is it a regular HU with Android Auto as a feature?
My head unit is OEM, running Android Auto app from Chevy as part of the display.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used android auto and a PRE-planned trip, but I'm guessing there is probably a setting or check box that was not used (waypoints or something of that nature), also did you start the trip on the phone first before engaging android auto or after? I use waze almost exclusively anymore, but ya Pandora is always running in the background and will take over it's a issue with there app I am sure they will fix it eventually, you can just kill the app in settings or just not use it in the mean time.
Guess I need to check further, as running a Pre-planned route, with waypoints, is what I'd like to do.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use OsMand. It's a little finicky to set up, but you can set up waypoints. The main reason I like it is that it has downloadable maps and doesn't require an internet connection while driving.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use OsMand. It's a little finicky to set up, but you can set up waypoints. The main reason I like it is that it has downloadable maps and doesn't require an internet connection while driving.
Google maps has downloadable offline maps not requiring internet or cellular service. I use it extensively on my adventure bike riding forest service roads and trails. I have been trying to use Android Auto as a means of using Google Maps in my Tahoe...but so far it's a flop.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to use it on a rental car i had for work for a few months, 2016 impala...it lasted about 3 days before i uninstalled all the apps. i never even tried to use the nav with it, "clunky" user interface

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe Google has gotten better with it's offline maps, but I wasn't impressed. I can download on entire state into my tablet. The main disadvantage is that Osmand is not so good at finding street addresses. It is good at finding nearby sites like restaurants, gas stations etc.

OP
OP
clogan2

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe Google has gotten better with it's offline maps, but I wasn't impressed. I can download on entire state into my tablet. The main disadvantage is that Osmand is not so good at finding street addresses. It is good at finding nearby sites like restaurants, gas stations etc.
Google Maps is pretty good; lots of detail, including forest service roads, and many foot trails. I've probably got a couple dozen or more downloaded maps, including Cherokee and Pisgah National forests, most of East Tn, north Georgia, western NC, Alabama, Louisiana, eastern Arizona, and much of west Texas. I have found it very accurate.