Amp location and bypass/re-use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's the plan.
I have a 2002 Yukon XL SLT. NO bose but do have onstar and factory sub in the trunk.

I have read places and forums saying the amp is on a bracket where the factory sub is in the trunk. I have the bracket but no amp there. Also checked under the cup holders there is no visible amp just a sire and pin set but I believe that is only for the rear audio control unit on the back of the center console.

My end goal is to install my Memphis Amp and Sub by using the power remote and ground of the factory amp. And running Rcas from my aftermarket kenwood radio. And also doing an amp bypass so my kenwood powers all speakers ( front mid and tweet. second row mid and tweet. And trunk pillar tweets.) I will run the pillar tweets off of the second row for any body wondering.

Now I know runing my own power and ground might be better than the small factory wiring. but the amp is max 600watts so it truly doesnt need thick wire. and it should be atleast 12 gauge wiring. I know thats what connects the factory sub.

Thank you in advanced for the help!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amp is under the center console bucket.
Its a nightmare to by pass it, by a rewire..
You best bet is to forget about it all together and run new wires everywhere.

This also allows a functional stock radio system when you sell.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amp is under the center console bucket.

No, the amp is NOT under the center console bucket. Mondo has a 2002 model year. 2000-2002 model years are quite different than 2003-2006 model years, when it comes to amplifier location.

Mondo also already confirmed that he looked under his center console, which being a 2002, is also of a different design than subsequent model years.

For a 2002 Yukon XL Base model without YE9 and without Y91, there is no amplifier. Amplification is done in the head unit only. But since you have Rear Seat Audio controls, and you have an SLT package, I suspect that you DO have RPO code YE9. You can confirm this by looking at the RPO list label in side your glove box. The RPO codes are listed in alphabetical order.

If you do have YE9, then the amplifier is mounted vertically right there behind the glove box. Drop down the glove box by squeezing in the sides of the glove box walls until the back tabs ciear the stops, and the amplifier will be visible as a large aluminum heat sink with a single connector plugged into the left side of it.

If you your 2002 Yukon XL is a Denali, with RPO code Y91, then the amplifier is behind the left rear quarter panel trim. This is the same trim panel where the subwoofer is, only the amp is mounted on a separate bracket ahead of the wheel well. You can access the wiring without pulling the entire panel by simply lifting the snap in tray where the jack and jack tools are located, on top of the left rear wheel well. The Denali amp has two harness connectors, facing the rear.

For 2003-2006, all the separate amps, for both Denali and non Denali, got moved to the redesigned center console, along with the subwoofer itself.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you SUB

Now I will check that amp placement in the morning although I'm certain your correct.

As far as my ideas for bypassing and reusing the amp what are your thought.

Any other threads you can point me to or from your knowledge.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mondo... I don't think I can be much help beyond offering suggestions on where to find factory components, like where your amp is, or where a circuit might be. I don't know much about aftermarket system set ups to provide any advice beyond that limited scope.

I will say this though... I'm kind of confused why you wish to continue to simultaneously power, yet completely bypass, your factory amp. I think I'm just not following you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali