amp bypass???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so im just bought 4 new door speakers and a 4 channel amp and i was wondering if i would have to bypass my factory amp? If so what would i need to do i have the factory 8in sub and onstar if that will help on telling me what i need to do thanks guys

basshertz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
do you have an after market head unit?
what i did i just didnt hook up the speakers wires on the harness for the stereo and just hooked up the rca's from the after market head unit straight to the 4 channel and it worked fine

jpaeltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of y'all have an idea what color wires do what coming off of the stock bose amp?

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
JP, KSES123 sent me a diagram that has what you are asking for. I haven't had two minutes to rub together in the last 72 hours. I will take a look at it tonight and post it when I get home.

-B

jpaeltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JP, KSES123 sent me a diagram that has what you are asking for. I haven't had two minutes to rub together in the last 72 hours. I will take a look at it tonight and post it when I get home.

-B

Awesome, PM me the info if you can. Thanks

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Credit for this goes to KSES123. The column on the right is the male connector which would be the big plug coming out of the bottom of the console. I looked the female plug (15359287) up on gmpartsdirect.com and its available for $3.

c306connector.jpg

Here's the wiring setup on the radio plug:

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Orange
Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Class 2 Serial Data
Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: N/A
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: Dark Green
Radio Amplifier Trigger Wire: Pink
Front Speakers Size: N/A
Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Green
Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Light Blue

If someone can ID the part number for both the male and female connectors for the radio plug, I think we can all make a custom wiring harness here for cheap.

-B

Last edited:

jpaeltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good news gentlemen. Using the diagram above, thanks again Boomer and KSES123, I was able to do some splicing and dicing and get the stock Bose amp and sub installed and working in a NON Bose setup in my '04 Tahoe. It wasn't too bad at and I still having some tiding up to do but it definitely was a doable job.

I just have one question, where is a easy place to tap in for the remote wire for the amp, (wire that kicks on only when the ignition is on, I don't want to have the sub constantly running and drain my battery). Thanks, I think I will do a write up too.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Also a very interesting point:

I've also got a 2004 2500HD Silverado with Bose option and I've been in many of these GM pickups and SUVs with the Bose system. The sub in my Tahoe I just "hardwired" is packing a lot more when comparing any of the others I've ever heard! I think running the system through the stock harnesses on the HU must downsize a lot of the bass, because I have to have the bass almost at minimum for my preferences. It is a 100% stock set-up I've got so there's something funny going on. I'm not complaining though

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

One more thing,

Could I install a gain or bass knob? Would I just install the knob on the direct power wire or where?

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Ok. You definitely owe us a How-To and pics.

As afar as the remote ignition on, I think your best bet is to run back to the fuse box and use the SEO IGN fuse. But two things:

1. There is a remote on feed from the head unit, you should be able to pick that up and use that to do what you need to do so your amp is only on when your head unit is on.

2. If that doesn't work, I'd pick up RAP somewhere and put a switch inline with it and the amp. That way you can just turn the amp off if you don't want to use it.

Interesting comment on the bass size when hardwired.

-B

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

On the Radio harness, the Pink wire, Radio Amplifier Trigger - does it have any voltage when the radio is on? On the same harness the Orange wire is RAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen