Amber Blinkers..need some tech wizardry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have recently updated the front of my 04' Hoe. She now has DEPO Projectors, Hi/Lo DDM HID's, and Clear Bumper lights(ebay). I am very happy with the way things look....other than the amber running lights.

So,my here is my question. Can, I clip, snip or mod anything that allows the blinkers to still work(and flash amber) with the lights being on full time.

Also, what to the sidemarker lights do? I have never seen them on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BB

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
So, I have recently updated the front of my 04' Hoe. She now has DEPO Projectors, Hi/Lo DDM HID's, and Clear Bumper lights(ebay). I am very happy with the way things look....other than the amber running lights.

So,my here is my question. Can, I clip, snip or mod anything that allows the blinkers to still work(and flash amber) with the lights being on full time.

Also, what to the sidemarker lights do? I have never seen them on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BB

OK heres what you can do. the bulb for your DRL and flashers is a 3157 model and your DRL should be a white bulb not amber. if it is then you should change it.
The flasher bulb if in a clear lens needs to be an amber bulb and your side marker bulb is a white bulb that flashes alternately with your flashers.
If they dont work then change the bulbs

Hope this helps

JD

picture.jpg

OP
OP
Bailey-Hoe!

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm

JD, nope, I am still confused. I have some amber bulbs (3157) and new 4114's for the DRL. I also have new sidemarkers, although I did not put those in yet. I guess my confusion comes from WHEN/WHICH lights activates. Perhaps you all could help me fill in this list.

Highs - obvious
Lows - obvious
DRL - inner most bulb in the bumper light right? This should come on on Auto/in Drive/during daylight?
Blinker - always on? Flashes when blinking?
Sidemarker - ?? like you said it flashes alternatively with the blinker. Not sure mine does :-(

I am col with all except having an amber light glowing all the time....unless of course I have to.

BB

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
JD, nope, I am still confused. I have some amber bulbs (3157) and new 4114's for the DRL. I also have new sidemarkers, although I did not put those in yet. I guess my confusion comes from WHEN/WHICH lights activates. Perhaps you all could help me fill in this list.

Highs - obvious
Lows - obvious
DRL - inner most bulb in the bumper light right? This should come on on Auto/in Drive/during daylight?
Blinker - always on? Flashes when blinking?
Sidemarker - ?? like you said it flashes alternatively with the blinker. Not sure mine does :-(

I am col with all except having an amber light glowing all the time....unless of course I have to.

BB

Ok now I see what your saying but it seems you have some wiring issues. The amber should not be on all the time and the sides work together with the flashers.

DRL either 3157 or 4114 only on in auto daytime when car is in drive
Blinker only on when turn signal is on

Yup I think the wiring is the problem or check the bulbs and fuses

Good luck

JD

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Highs - obvious
Lows - obvious
DRL - inner most bulb in the bumper light right? This should come on on Auto/in Drive/during daylight

Blinker - no such thing

Sidemarker - doesn;t have one

BB

from inside out

drl - discussed above

parking / turn bulb: comes on with parking lights. A second filament lights up to provide turn indicator.

corner marker bulb:
a: Comes on with park lights as a parking light.
b: when park lights are on, flashes alternate to turnsignal
c: when park lights are off, flashes same time as turnsignal

So unless you have amber DRLs or a PO tied the DRL to the park circuit on the front signals, I have no idea why you would be seeing amber except at night.

Personally, I run an amber 4157/3157 as a DRL (and as turn of course).
I didn;t like the weak sauce yellowy light from white bulbs. the amber both looks cleaner, and looks different enough to still attract notice from jaded commuters. When I flip to high beams with the Hi 8 I get all amber across the indicator.

For the record:
It is a-ok/ legal to have amber DRLs (vettes do), & ok to have white parking lights, but it is NOT ok to have white illuminating turn indicators.

since turn and parking bulbs are combined on our Tahoes, you need to run amber parking lights.

OP
OP
Bailey-Hoe!

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lights!

Alright guys, thanks, its making more sense to me now. I guess big truck = lots of lights. Thanks for helping to narrow them down. I am going to try to get an LED for the DRL to get a whiter light to match the HIDs. Silverstars leave a lot to be desired compared to the HID 5000K's!

I'll keep the blinker amber and contemplate HID fogs. Hmmm, they are cheaper than the crappy Silverstars I spent 42 bucks on.

BB

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bailey-Hoe!

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ambers put in proper place. Side-markers changed out....and yes they now work! Almost there. Amber/Blinkers stay solid when on....still a mystery. Ohwell, looks good for now.

I am digging the cleaner than OEM front end. Will snap some pics tonight. 4 Hi is the shizzy.

To HID the fogs or not to HID the fogs, that is the question????

Eli B

Reaction score
Ambers put in proper place. Side-markers changed out....and yes they now work! Almost there. Amber/Blinkers stay solid when on....still a mystery. Ohwell, looks good for now.

I am digging the cleaner than OEM front end. Will snap some pics tonight. 4 Hi is the shizzy.

Hi, I also have swapped out all my front end bulbs and now have corner markers stay stay solid except when turn signals are on then they'll flash. I'm not sure but I think it has to do with using bulbs that fit but wrong part numbers.

Eli B

Reaction score

Actually after reviewing my pics I'm realizing that those corner markers have always been on with running lights since I've had it, even with original stock setup. Weird!

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made this video of my truck to demonstrate some switchback parking light/turn signals and they operate like stock lights other than glowing white for the parking lights. (They are all Leds for my DRLs, turn signals, and side markers)
When you see the work light up by my dash, it is there to simulate daylight for the auto headlights.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what it should generally look like.

I'm getting rid of the switchbacks because they cause too much glare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz