Alternative method to access spare tire hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
drewtx154

drewtx154

Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've done it, but as far as I remember there’s only 1 bolt that holds the hoist to the underside. Have you tried jacking up the rear-end and really looking under there? It'll help you if you also use some jackstands. I guarantee you'll find it. View attachment 410715View attachment 410716View attachment 410717
Ya I found it after I got the tire down ... It's hiding behind the the tire hoist access tube and unless you remove the access tube, it's very difficult to see.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ya I found it after I got the tire down ... It's hiding behind the the tire hoist access tube and unless you remove the access tube, it's very difficult to see.
Glad you were able to find it. I probably did it over 4 years ago, so my memory was a little fuzzy. We're you able to separate the cable from the spare?

h2100

Reaction score
On this same line of thought, is it possible to take off the 'lock'? This thread reminds me to take mine down ad grease it but I'd like to be rid of the lock. That was my issue on another 'hoe.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
On this same line of thought, is it possible to take off the 'lock'? This thread reminds me to take mine down ad grease it but I'd like to be rid of the lock. That was my issue on another 'hoe.
Are you talking about the actual lock that blocks the entrance to the hoist, or the arm that's part of the mechanism?20200727_202819.jpg
If you're taking about this arm(circled) you can just bend it.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to literally cut mine off with a grinder, then I replaced the hoist mechanism. When I put the replacement hoist on, I spooled the cable out and coated the entire cable and spring and pretty much all moving parts, with red axle and bearing grease. Hopefully that keeps it from seizing up like the old one did. Every few years I take the spare down and check the air pressure and regrease the cable. This post reminds me that it's about time I go do that as it's been about 2-3 years now since I last did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar