After market audio amplifier install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have been reading in the reviews of this item, it does nothing to your factory door speakers if you install the way they say, this just puts outputs to an additional amp if you were to add additional speakers powered by the amp. If you wanted to power your aftermarket speakers in the factory locations, you would need to run speaker wire to those speakers directly from the amp. Then basically you would just need to buy a line level adapter instead of this and run your radio output into it and then onto your amp to your new speakers.

correct, that is true. but the GM OEM HDD Navigation radio, is a so calle "Bose radio" and needs an amp. If you install it without that, it works, but the volume is kind of low, and you cannot (or barely hear the chimes, navigation voice etc.). That plug and play thing does nothing more than getting the volume level up again."

That's pretty much all I wanted,if that works I am happy. (I was promised the volume and chimes would work like they're supposed to). If it also keeps the steering wheel controls working (I am planning on a steering wheel upgrade) I'd be really happy. (and it works with a factory backup camera too I was told).

Ron

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But how does an aftermarket amp hooked to the RCA jacks feed back into the factory harness, to me this box just looks like a splice that draws the signal from the factory harness and feeds the inputs on the amp. Where does the outputs of the amp go to?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're having problems with your factory amp why aren't you troubleshooting the factory amp? I thought you were trying to bypass it and run an aftermarket amp.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you're having problems with your factory amp why aren't you troubleshooting the factory amp? I thought you were trying to bypass it and run an aftermarket amp.

He has a PPV so there is no factory amp and he cannot hook up the harness from the center console without changing the main harness in the dash.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has a PPV so there is no factory amp and he cannot hook up the harness from the center console without changing the main harness in the dash.
Oh. In that case I'd just replace the whole thing, new amp and new speaker wires.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
He just paid a shit ton of Money for the Nav radio. and it appears to be useless without changing out the entire dash harness and wiring up a Bose amp. I'm glad I didn't get interested in the Nav radio.

Not useless just needs an amp, not necessarily the Bose amp. He is just trying to keep from having to run his own wires from the amp to the speakers.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But how does an aftermarket amp hooked to the RCA jacks feed back into the factory harness, to me this box just looks like a splice that draws the signal from the factory harness and feeds the inputs on the amp. Where does the outputs of the amp go to?

Right, that is what I was thinking too.. apparently one has to run wires from that to every speaker... eehhhh.... There is one in each door, then there are the tweeters up front, and the ones in the C-pillar. So that means, taking all door panels off, trim off the A-pillars and the C-pillars... That is a lot more work than i was looking for ... hence the other "plug and play" solution, but no "rear passenger audio center'. But than again, I never sit in the rear seat anyway.

The new 'solution' I found, uses the existing car harness, hooks up the head unit to an amp (that suspiciously looks like a factory Bose amp (but the nicer one). That one seems to send the signals back in the harness.. so should be easy.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well the most 'intriguing' option was, let's see if I can make the rear audio work (even though some here discouraged that). Now I see why. In order to do that, you need a different instrument cluster harness. They are approx $300, and you have to pretty much take the whole dash apart and replace each and every 'thing' that uses wires in the dash. It also means you have to replacethe climate controls and the thingy below it (cigarette lighter, traction control, backup assist and pedal adjustment buttons.) The harness and the AC control and the thing below ads up to approx $700 (ouch) and if you mess it up, it's a problem. Also, the cars computer needs programming.

Then there are the "add an amp" interface kits, those are cheap ($30) hook into the car's harness and the Nav radio and connect easily to an amp, BUT behind the amp, you have to run complete new cabling, or run some cabling and start splicing into the cars harness.. (yay.. we all love that.)

The easier solution I found, using the existing speaker/wires, is that plug and play kit that goes between the car's harness and the radio, and has a 'branch' that goes to an amp. The amps outputs feed back into the harness again.. to the speakers. Since I wanted to use the existing speakers, I think it is the easiest solution (probably also the less expensive one. For $225 you get an amp, and the harness and have to just plug it in... no splicing etc.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup that is exactly right, well it's an SSV, but the same thing. I thought that the console I bought, with a GM Bose amp, could be used, but yes as Ken said, it needs a different dash harness. The reason why is that it is pretty much what Ken mentioned, it is the 'only way' to extend the car's harness to plug in the center console harness.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep