After market audio amplifier install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He just paid a shit ton of Money for the Nav radio. and it appears to be useless without changing out the entire dash harness and wiring up a Bose amp. I'm glad I didn't get interested in the Nav radio.

That is not completely true. It's more like I paid a 'shart' load of money for the radio, it was $600 and it does work (with a $75 conversion harness). However the volume isn't all that and... no shimes etc. The reason for that is, that these Nav Radios need an amp. That is where the trouble starts. The factory way (replacing the dash instrument cluster Harness) is not practical AND very expensive. (you need to replace the AC controls and the thingy below too) But you can hook up the Nav Radio that way and make the rear audio work. That solution is approx $700, and $600 for the radio. The after market solution. You need an amp, the interface kit and a few free weekends to re-wire the dang car. That is $600 for the radio, $30 fr the interface, $250 (and up) for the amp... and of course the speaker wiring, splicing, fighting with the wife and kids etc.... A little cheaper, but probably not worth the splicing and the cussing. This plug and play harness/amp is $225 for the harness and amp, do that together pans out to be just over $800 for the project.

If you'd buy a Tahoe (new) with that radio installed, it would be $2,500 more (a new Nav Radio goes for close to $2,000.

Is it worth the money? Probably not, a Garmin GPS costs $180, with free maps updates, and it's right on the dash. I like the GM OEM navigation, it is a little more helpful than the Garmin. I also like it that the Nav Radio has a 30Gb hard drive (SSD) that not only stores maps, but yu can record anything you play on it, to that drive (except radio). Also, the thing has a USB connector, that let's you use a bunch of storage devices (phone, drives, USB sticks etc.)

Draw back compared to Garmin, the GM OEM Nav Radio map updates are $180, ouch, that is the same as a Garmin with 'free' map updates.

Is it worth it? No probably not, $$$ wise for sure, is it a fun project, I think it is, you get to dig around and see what all in your SSV is not 'standard'. I like the radio, it fits in nicely, same trim, buttons, lights etc. (Oh and I am not even saying it adds value... because I probably not sell the Hoe any time soon anyway)

Ron

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just glad to have installed a new DD with Apple carplay so I can use Google maps on the big screen. But I don't have a PPV.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not useless just needs an amp, not necessarily the Bose amp. He is just trying to keep from having to run his own wires from the amp to the speakers.

Exactly true. I liked the type of radio, because it has Navigation in it, it looks nice. Also, it let's you hook up other things and use it. I wasn't planning on turning the Hoe into a disco, nor an opera building. I wanted decent music, navigation with it would be neat, the option of connecting stuff is neat. I like tinkering with stuff like this, so I consider it a hobby. What I figured out is that these GM Nav Radios are really picky about what amp can be used. That is why there are these 'interface kits' ... BUT as Ken mentioned, I didn't want to re-wire the whole damn car

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah one thing I really like about the GM OEM Nav Radio, the navigation "guidance" overlays the sound of the music you can clearly hear the directions (plus the GM radio has that double audible chime telling you "this is the intersection I was talking about").

An 'issue' I had with my separate Garmin GPS is (it happened a lot me driving in TX), the Garmin GPS says something.. but at that point the music was at the same level or higher as the GPS, so you quite didn't hear what it said, you miss the exit and have to drive another 10-15 miles, and turn around.. and drive back that 10-15 miles. The GM OEM Navigation 'overlays' the audio, and the instructions are not washed out by the music. The GM Navigation 'lady' is a little chatty, but you can adjust that in the configs.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested. I just googled the model number of the unit and if it is the same one, your rear audio system will still work and be put through the rear channel of the outputs. I am not sure if it is the same unit, do you have a link to the one you purchased?

Actually, the link on their site wasn't working. But I talked to the owner. Their amp-harness solution just restores the audio levels and chimes in an SSV/PPV where the factory/basic radio is replaced by a GM HDD Radio.

I would still be interested in a solution that makes the rear audio work though.

Once I get their amp/harness, I'll post pics, post/pre install and some remarks about how I like it. The rear passenger audio system working )with that donor center console) would be neat, but not a real priority.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at their stuff and don't see anything that would do that. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a harness or amp that does what you want. If you want to just bypass the factory amp and run off the amp in the head unit there's some of those types of adapters out there. idatalink makes a Maestro that's pretty sweet for that. Let us know what you find.

well, remember, I have an SSV with a factory basic radio, there never was a factory amp in the car.. there was just this amp, with a rear audio center in the center console I put in (it was from a 2011 Chevy Silverado)\

Would be cool to get it to work, I looked into it.. but seems to encompass a lot of unanticipated work.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested. I just googled the model number of the unit and if it is the same one, your rear audio system will still work and be put through the rear channel of the outputs. I am not sure if it is the same unit, do you have a link to the one you purchased?

Here are a few pics of what I bought, the GM Nav Radio head unit (the last one has the GM part # on it.) It is know as the "GM Nav HDD Radio": HDD meaning it has a (ssd) hard drive, for storing maps and recording music, GPS way-points etc etc.

Ron

1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh btw: IF (big if) you have a car that is already setup with rear seat passenger audio, then yes it will work (the rear audio). BUT in general our SSVs/PPVs are not set up like that and ours have the different, simpler, instrument cluster harness. I found that, unless I was not that thorough, there is no 'kit' that will connect the rear audio in a SSV and PPV.

However, I did chat with a guy in CO, who said "I am sure we are able to figure it out and make it work, but I am sure it is not worth the $$$ to you.

So... it might be possible, if there is an existing solution, I'd consider it.. BUT .....

Ron

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, forget about making the rear seat audio work. You'd be investing a bunch of money, time and effort for something that will rarely, if ever, be used. I went with an OEM nav because I wanted to retain all features including the rear seat controls to satisfy my OCD of having all present features operating. It hasn't been used to this day. I got a deal on the nav unit and I'm still under the cost of an aftermarket head unit and all necessary adapters. But, trying to retain those rear seat controls is a waste and I'd happily sacrifice them to have a nicer head unit.

I say you just focus your efforts on the bigger, more attainable priority which is getting your current setup working properly.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signals go to the radio? What? No, signals cone FROM the radio.into the harness. Then that signal normally goes to the factory amp and then from the amp to the speakers. If you add an amp in between the radio and stock amp, you don't have access to the speaker wires because they're attached to the stock amp. So your signal can go back into the harness but that harness goes to the factory amp, not directly to the speakers.

Correct IF you are just considering audio signals, but that radio has more inputs than just an antenna or two

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts