Advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wall_e

wall_e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So a "home" brewed diesel would run me into 100k ?
#%II no !!!
Even I if I could afford it is a non starter....yeah, I get it nice and all, but ....no. What to do when I need service ... ? no one would touch it , and then good luck on a lease finance...
I am an old(er) timer, and in the early '90 I used to drive a 2500 diesel - company car - ....bought from the dealership, no frills and thrills, but oh boy... was it nice !!!
I understand that some new ones are some how available for govt. contracts and / or overseas....does any one knows if one can be purchased legally or some sort of "gray market" (no emission state ) ?
Thanks again....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Duramax's would work on it. It's the same thing really. Well you mentioned it and I let you know that it does exist. In a couple of years we should see the baby Duramax in the 1500s.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#%II no !!!
Even I if I could afford it is a non starter....yeah, I get it nice and all, but ....no. What to do when I need service ... ? no one would touch it , and then good luck on a lease finance...
I am an old(er) timer, and in the early '90 I used to drive a 2500 diesel - company car - ....bought from the dealership, no frills and thrills, but oh boy... was it nice !!!
I understand that some new ones are some how available for govt. contracts and / or overseas....does any one knows if one can be purchased legally or some sort of "gray market" (no emission state ) ?
Thanks again....

1. if you have the cash for the duraburb you have the cash to find a shop to work on it. Plenty of places will work on it (including duraburb) just maybe not a dealer. One of my friends gets her car serviced at a place that specializes in souped up and tuned cars, they always have a 6.0 swapped 300zx in their getting more power adders.

2. gov't auctions. Guy I know bought a platinum f-450 that was at one time a gov't vehicle in texas. Factory deleted from ford and no emmisions checks forever.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
#%II no !!!
Thanks again....
That duraburb was brand new, and believe me it wasnt ‘home’ brewed

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duraburb sounds great, until your first $5,000 minor repair bill. Let's be honest guys, the modern diesels are losers unless you haul. $10k upfront, more expensive fuel, more expensive maintainence.... it's a lose lose in a suburban. Probably have to pull the body off the chassis to even begin to work on it, no thanks.

Not to mention diesels aren't really rock solid unless you delete all the emissions nowadays, it's not the good old diesel anymore.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duraburb sounds great, until your first $5,000 minor repair bill. Let's be honest guys, the modern diesels are losers unless you haul. $10k upfront, more expensive fuel, more expensive maintainence.... it's a lose lose in a suburban. Probably have to pull the body off the chassis to even begin to work on it, no thanks.

Not to mention diesels aren't really rock solid unless you delete all the emissions nowadays, it's not the good old diesel anymore.

But...its fast, lol, makes up for all the above, lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now the fuel is less expensive and they get better mileage. They are insanely durable and last 2-3 times as long as an LS engine. My buddies 2007 Classic has over 200k on it and he's done nothing but maintenance, no repairs yet to the motor or Allison transmission and tows with it regularly and on dirt roads where he lives.

That's right, you pay more up front and reap the benefits of greater durability, same with the 2500 chassis. While we're rebuilding our suspensions and steering gear every 100k or so, the 2500s go at least twice that before needing work.

And power, my goodness the power! Costs good money to go fast.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hell bent on getting a Tahoe RST with Brembos to add to the mint GMT 900 2010 LTZ, that I"m keeping for my son to drive. I had read and really dug into all of the booming and vibration issues, but wanted to believe that GM had worked out a fix or a change in their process to eliminate them. I visited a large dealership that had tons of '17 and '18 models. I took a brand new 17 out for a ride with the salesman. (who was a nice kid, but knew zero about cars and less about the Tahoe K2XX models.) Wow, was I surprised...all of the complaints were true--in spades!! The '17 had tire balance issues and the boominess was painful. Just like when a kid with a couple 1,000 watt amps and subwoofers gets nearby at a red light...you can barely hear it, but your ears and head feel what seems like when you're climbing to altitude in an airplane, except worse!

We went back an found an '18 RST to drive. The 6.2 definitely hauls arse...hard to believe a 3 ton truck can move that fast! When on the highway, this particular truck didn't have the vibration issue, and the boominess was somewhat muted, but you could still feel the pressure change in your head. I am very disappointed that GM could put out a product that costs $60K to upwards of $100,000 for an Escalade. The RST I wanted was $80k...no way...I bought another Lexus GX.

Bummer.

GX is the dressed up forerunner right?