Adding USB to dash...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the factory radio, my wife has this in her car where she can plug get iPhone USB cable to it and her radio will automatically sync to the phone. I was wondering if that could be adapted to my 09 Tahoe

easiest way will be to get an aftermarket radio. You won't be able to do that with your stock one.

luckymax

Reaction score
How long a usb cable do you recommend for aftermarket radio to cig lighter socket? How long to the center console? Just trying to order the right length online. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long a usb cable do you recommend for aftermarket radio to cig lighter socket? How long to the center console? Just trying to order the right length online. Thanks.

3ft to dash and 6ft to console would be plenty

meadows.harrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is awesome!! I am going to do this ASAP so my kids can watch movies from my phone on the rear screen

blargh22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is on my to do list! I've got a USB port in the center part. Should I be able to use both USB ports? Like add a splitter? Or am I just better off with one?

What you should do is connect a powered USB hub to the cigarette lighter behind the dash (which will be unused anyway), and then run a wire from the radio to the USB hub. Then you will have multiple USB ports, you can have one in the dash and one in your console. If you aren't going to be powering anything significant, you can use any old cheap USB 2.0 hub that is not powered. You will have issues with splitters most likely. Let me know how it works out. The interesting thing is, will your radio support to USB devices? How will it know to switch between them?

unoigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this will only work with an aftermarket radio? I cannot use oem wiring and reroute to new USB receptacle instead of using the one in the center console?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this will only work with an aftermarket radio? I cannot use oem wiring and reroute to new USB receptacle instead of using the one in the center console?

yes if yours came with a factory one in the console, you should be able to do this as well.

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(for charging purpose only setup) - for an alternative to using the cig ltr hooked up behind the panel, has anyone tried cutting open a USB cable isolating the power and ground alone (basically making a pigtail out of it) and crimping it to the power and ground feed from the veh harness? I'm not familiar with splicing/cutting open USB cables.... possible????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas