Adding Factory Nav - is a VSS Wiring kit needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i'm adding factory nav to my 07 Avy LTZ which came with 6 disc dvd changer in front with rear entertainment-- no nav. I was going to get an aftermarket HU, but after playing with GMX-550 LockPick in my other vehicle on a factory gm nav system, I feel like it's sufficient and I like the fact that it's Factory/OEM... So anyways, I need to find out all the missing pieces other then the physical head unit. I know you need a GPS Antenna which i've already purchased.

I read article on another forum showing that they had purchased it when upgrading to factory Nav: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,122553.0.html#msg1867528

Does anyone that has done this know for a fact if I need this VSS Wiring kit to get the factory nav screen to work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-GM-CH...ultDomain_0&hash=item19ba3ab0fa#ht_2363wt_802

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Felix,
Yes a VSS kit is needed. The GPS will not be able to track you properly without it. In some cases, I don't even think the navigation will work at all without it.

That kit is exactly what you need. In fact, it's the same one that I orded when installing a factory nav. on my Tahoe. The green wire with brown connector is the VSS wire and the red and black wire hook up to the Onstar module to allow voice commands. I will happy to provide directions if you need them. I think I posted something awhile back for another member installing a VSS wire.

On a side note - make sure the navigation unit you purchase has the DVD symbol on the front lower left, and of course that it is a Bose unit.

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of any more assistance :Handshake:

Of Topic: Oh and congrats on the two new vehicles! I read through that very long thread. All I have to say is wow :) It got off topic rather quickly :hands: The end result was very relieving though! It was a good read. I kept clicking to the next page wondering when you were going to finally find the right Escalade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dylan,

Thanks for the response! After posting this, I texted my auto install guy and he said that the last car similar to mine that he did, already had those wires in the vehicle. He said I shouldn't have to worry about it since it's already in the car. I explained that after reading online, some cars had them and some didn't. do you know what criteria is required to having this actually come factory pre-installed in the vehicle?

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

On a side note - make sure the navigation unit you purchase has the DVD symbol on the front lower left, and of course that it is a Bose unit.

OK that sounds good it looks like I got all that so I should be good to go... I got it from a member on here, here is a pic of it:

IMG_3670.gif

The part number is: 20862567

It came with factory bose and 6 disc DVD changer but no nav...

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of any more assistance :Handshake:

Of Topic: Oh and congrats on the two new vehicles! I read through that very long thread. All I have to say is wow :) It got off topic rather quickly :hands: The end result was very relieving though! It was a good read. I kept clicking to the next page wondering when you were going to finally find the right Escalade.

Thanks man I appreciate it! I am so pumped I got them and have so much work ahead of me. LOL yes 40 pages of de-rail. Yea I went through a LOT of different esky's and denali's till I found the right one... and the one I ended up with is MINT condish and I could ask for nothing more... Turns out most used vehicles are pretty damn crusty and if you are OCD/meticulous about stuff like I am, then you won't be happy with the first one you see...

Last edited:

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
i think just Antenna is needed i would just try it out 1st before ordering anything other

TmadeEdition

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the same question," If I needed that Vss wire kit. I have 07 yukon denali xl im updgrading to a factory nav.. I already have a brown connector connected to the back of my old radio.. so would i still need the vss wire kit? that means that wouldn't need the old brown connector right?

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you know what criteria is required to having this actually come factory pre-installed in the vehicle?

Unfortunately, I don't know the criteria. It may be just a matter of hit or miss. Because your Avy is an LTZ the chances are probably higher. In the end, I would think it comes down to pulling out the radio and looking. If that brown connector is already there, and has a wire coming off of it (usually green) then you are probably good to go. If not, well then you obviously need the connection. Either way, it's not hard to do.

OK that sounds good it looks like I got all that so I should be good to go... I got it from a member on here, here is a pic of it

That looks to be the correct unit. So you are good to go here!

Good luck with the install and let me know if you need any help at all!!

I got the same question," If I needed that Vss wire kit. I have 07 yukon denali xl im updgrading to a factory nav.. I already have a brown connector connected to the back of my old radio.. so would i still need the vss wire kit? that means that wouldn't need the old brown connector right?

I would have to say that you are probably all set. If that brown connector is there then I would think you have the VSS wire already done. I did not have a brown connector there when I did my install, therefore, because you do, this leaves me to believe that you already have the connection.

Last edited:

ChevyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribing. Felix, take some pics as you go through this :)

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The need for VSS pisses me off, I don't understand it...my old Garmin didn't need it. Why does my $1000 AVIC need it??? I found it and tapped it, but still. :favorites68:

ChevyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I definitely will. I'm sure others upgrading to factory nav will have this same question.

After a lot of looking around at audio shops, I think I want to do the same thing instead of going aftermarket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157