Adding Factory Nav - is a VSS Wiring kit needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a lot of looking around at audio shops, I think I want to do the same thing instead of going aftermarket.

This is why I installed the factory navigation in my Tahoe. Not only did I like the factory look, but the idea of it being mostly plug and play, and everything would just work (steering wheel controls, onstar, chimes etc..) after the fact made it all worth it.

I looked at so many different units, both online and in stores, and ultimately decided on going with OEM. The navigation is, well, to be desired, but on really long trips I often use my Garmin I already own, or my phone anyways.

The other thing about aftermarket is everything that has to be bought along with it. You spend maybe anywhere from $400.00-$800.00 on the unit itself, and then turn around and have to buy this wire and that wire. Oh and that module for XM, and this one for Onstar. Then you have to buy another one for steering wheel controls, and program that to work. Of course, you are hoping it programs right and the volume button actually controls the volume. I could go on and on....

It's not that aftermarket systems are bad, they just aren't for everyone. I wanted something simple, that I could enjoy after a few hours of work, and have no other hassles after the fact.

Wow, I went on yet another tangent... I have to stop doing that :emotions122:

Last edited:

ChevyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you just summed up how I feel about it also. Now I just need to find a good unit to install. Dealer costs are astronomic, so I guess I'll have to be cruising ebay etc...

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you just summed up how I feel about it also. Now I just need to find a good unit to install. Dealer costs are astronomic, so I guess I'll have to be cruising ebay etc...

There are lots out there! :)

Just to give you a starting point I will provide a link of the guy that I bought mine from on eBay. They specialize in these, and will actually program it for you so you don't have to make a dealer trip. It comes with everything except the VSS kit which they also sell. His name is Tom and he was very pleasant to deal with. I'm not trying to solicit or anything, but when buying high price items on eBay it always good to buy from someone you know is trustworthy.

GM Navigation - eBay

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always gone the aftermarket route. This is the first time I'm upgrading to a factory nav. I also got a CCD Rear Cam kit that works alongside the gmx-550 to unlock the nav/dvd while in motion, and adds iDevice support for audio/video via 30 pin dock connector. For some reason I couldn't find the factory rear cam option so was forced to go aftermarket.

Originally, I planned on going with the kenwood dnx9980hd, but just couldn't justify spending 1300 on JUST the screen minus the add on components, wiring harness, dash kit, and install costs. Had I not got an amazing deal on the factory nav screen, I probably would've went that route. The gps antenna is 60-70 and screen cost me 400. I bought the CCD rear cam kit for 150, gmx550 lock pick for 290, dealer flash is 50, install is 200+ tax. That's approx 1100 all in for nav/rear cam/unlocked features/iPhone support.

When I had my 08 Tahoe, I spent about 1400-1500 on the same exact options. After getting the lock pick in the the esky, it definitely made me feel more comfortable going the factory route for the avy. The only thing factory is missing is a reliable gps app like kenwood has garmin which is simply amazing...

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
I gave a local dealer my vin # and he was able to tell me that I would not need to vss kit to install navigation, and that I am already pre-wired for the back up camera. So you may give that a shot and let the dealer tell you...

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out my local custom automotive shop in town will do the whole install PLUS bring it to the dealership to flash the factory nav screen. They said it costs around 50 to do that at the dealership and to install the factory nav/gps/GMX550 LockPick/aftermarket CCD Rear Cam kit, it'll be 200. So 250 to install ALL of that isn't too bad... i'll let you all know how it goes...

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need that harness. GPS will not keep as I drive around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts