add GM remote start or aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackDogBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening folks,

Sorry to repeat a topic here, but winter is coming and I am looking to add remote start to my hoe.
I checked the glovebox, I have AP8 code - that means I should be able to add the GM remote start correct?
(it is a PPV)

I know that this requires ordering new remotes+code AND dealer reprogramming. I'm guessing this means about $400cdn.

option 2 - I have a viper two way remote I was going to install on my durango but never did.
I could pay some to install that, probably much less than the gm price.

Thoughts -even if I wasn't already sitting on the parts, any thoughts on which option is better?
does the gm remote really have much range?
and does it give two way response?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
B.

Reaction score
I would do it via GM. it is completely integrated and no additional modules that can and will leave you stranded at some point. Having a factory remote is clean and convenient. Anything OEM route will always be better fitted.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Remote start is remote start. Much simpler to have it integrated. If you were looking to get an alarm, that is a different story. Aftermarket always better than stock, DEI brand.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the last two posts. OEM for the remote start since it's essentially plug-and-play with OEM p-n-p reliability. If you're considering ever getting an aftermarket alarm, get one with remote start capabilities so you won't have to have multiple fobs. For the most part, all the better-known brands seem to be about the same quality. It's the installation that determines the reliability. I'm partial to DEI products, though. You can have a $200 DEI with a "twist-and-taped" install and start having issues a month later or you can have a $40 Omega K-9 crimped and/or soldered and never have a failure. I had a K-9 Mundial SS in my S10 for over a decade with zero issues. I chose that alarm because it had tiny remotes and was $30 at a clearance sale.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you @iamdub regarding install and partial to DEI as well but always felt the better brands (DEI) had better benefits not related to install such as signal strength, remote durability, warranty. I have had 2 out of 10 cars stolen in my life and neither of them had a DEI alarm. The rest did except current (stock alarm). Doesnt mean everything but but means something to me.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added a viper DEI with remote start, tilt sensor, glass sensor, cellular module, gps module. also added a dei led flasher and internal horn inside, I also had it programmed so that it sounds the dei horn and the stock horn at the same time.
I also had this on my 2000 Yukon, got tired of thieves breaking the side window climbing in and stealing the dvd system climbing out the window and never triggering the alarm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohccammer427

Latest posts