Add backup camera to 2014 Tahoe SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant you just hook the power to the reverse light and plug the input to the screen ?

jhax01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wiring diagram I attached shows you exactly what you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

EMSTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so that wiring harness i bought did have the backup camera harness in it but... it really meant for the vehicles that have the nav head unit. so i stripped the camera wiring harness out of it. i then attached the correct colors to the connector x413, my only wire that i haven't connected was the dark blue that would go to the bcm I'm assuming in need to connect the dark blue to a 12v power source? also will i need a voltage reducer to make the 12v power 6v to the camera?

jhax01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You lost me. X413 is a separate connection that is routed along the main body harness adjacent to where the liftgate harness attaches. If it was there, then all you needed to do was plug the UVC portion of the liftgate harness you purchased into it. If it was not there, aside from the camera +, -, and shield which you should extend from the C-pillar, the blk/wht wire needs to go to a chassis ground, the pink wire is switched battery voltage, and the dark blue wire should be jumped to the reverse lights. I can't answer your voltage reduction question other than to say that if you are using the factory reverse camera, my assumption would be that it already contains whatever it needs in terms of a voltage dividing circuit. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
E

EMSTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea I was typing that late at night, as long as the blue wire is where reverse lights are jumped in we should be good to go. When I took the harness apart the pink and black/white wires were part of the main lift gate harness so I cut those off. I then extended the light blue, white and bare to connector x421 (the one that was in the c pillar) as the attached diagram showed. The dark blue wire that was supposed to go to the bcm is the only one I was left over with. I should be getting the camera in this week and the mirror as well, all I can do now is wait

OP
OP
E

EMSTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My camera wire says this :

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455659741.828787.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455659755.777694.jpg

Do I still need a 12v to 5v converter?

jhax01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems unlikely. Pretty sure that the '12V' printed on the harness tag is indicating 12 volts.

mdhawk

Reaction score
I'm following this closely. I'm trying to do the same thing to my 08 Tahoe. My radio is wired for it. Just wasn't sure where the wires are. Thanks for the pictures and info. It will make it a lot easier when I do mine.

OP
OP
E

EMSTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finished.... Works great
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455836817.381984.jpg

This is a worth while project. What I found most confusing about it was the different information about the different oem cameras. It appears there is 3 different generations of cameras: the 07 -08 that has the 4 way plug on the end and is 5v, another 5v version that has a square 4 way connector that is used in the Silverado trucks, the finally the 09-14 camera that is 12v.

I would recommend just buying the appliqué with the harness already installed. Follow the uvc diagram that was given to me in this post, it is the correct way to wire it up. The dark blue goes to your reverse lights and the pink goes to any ignition source.

The parts are on the reasonable side due to the recent body style change. Thanks to the replys on this! It helped a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts